Tuesday, October 4, 2022

4 - Day Shift (2022)

Yes, finally a decent vampire movie.  It has been a while since I have seen one.  Technically I saw this one during the summer months when it came out, but I went through my blog and noticed I hadn't reviewed tonight's flick, so I watched it again.  Definitely passes the rewatchability test, which is a vital mark of a decent movie.  More action than horror, but hey, vampire movie with action is just another day in the life of an unpaid and hopefully-not-soon-to-be-homeless-horror-movie-reviewer.  Wow that's a lot of hyphens.

Day Shift (2022) stars Jamie Foxx as Bud Jablonski, a pool cleaner who has an unusual side-gig as a vampire hunter.  Most of Bud's issues in life arise not from Vampires, but from the vampire hunter's union, which pays out poor bounties on the vampire teeth that the hunters collect, taking absorbitant fees out of every bounty.  Bud's marriage is also on the rocks, mostly because he can't tell his wife, who he's seperated from, about his job as a fearless vampire killer.  Bud's just trying to make ends meet, when, well, you know.  All hell breaks loose and all.

Okay, so we got Jamie Foxx as Bud Jablonski, Dave Franco as Seth, Bud's weaselly union rep who is supposed to be spying on Bud for the Union.  Snoop Dogg plays Big John Elliott, a cowboy vampire killer who backs Bud up from time to time.  Peter Stormare is Troy, an illegal vampire-tooth broker who works out of a pawn shop or something.  I didn't recognize any of the rest of the actors in this movie but they all did decent jobs.  There's lots of action in this movie, which is always good for a vampire movie, because you don't want this to turn into another Twilight and ruin the good name of vampire movies all over again.  heh.  I make myself giggle sometimes.  Day Shift is on netflix, if you want to watch it.  I've seen it twice now, and it's still pretty good.  I may watch it again next october, too, if I can.  Snoop Doog references the Lost Boys at one point, saying "That's what I like about LA.  All the damn Vampires." which, if you've seen Lost Boys, you know is almost the same line Grampa speaks when he talks about Santa Carla.  I don't mean to toot my own horn here, because I am usually not that felxible, but I recognzied the line immediately, and chuckled.  There are some laughs in this movie, but it's mostly action, which is a totally fine combination and a great popcorn movie.  Loved it, will watch again.

In other news, oktoberfest has ended and spooky music is now playing on the sounds of the season music channel on cable tv.  Yeah.  You know when i am listening to music channels, my options for entertainment are limited.  Too poor to afford more at the moment.  Working on getting an income and thus saving my own life.  Hoping for the best!  Been really worried lately.  Got maybe a few more months of money before I am flat broke.  Anxiety, depression and chronic pain issues prevent me from doing more than like, one thing a day.  My supportive friends online tell me it's okay if all I can do some days is feed and take care of myself, and yes, that's important, but sometimes it's just not enough to just feed myself.  I also need to make money to make sure I can feed myself tomorrow, and the day after, and so on.  Meh.  I guess everyone worries about the future at times.  I'm no different than anyone else.  We all have problems to overcome.  Hopefully I can manage it.  I guess we all fail eventually, but I was hoping for a few more good years of fun before it all went to hell.  Ah well.  We'll see what happens.

But I devolve into depression.  Must be tired.  I am sure i will feel better and more hopeful after a good night's sleep.  See you guys with another movie review in another day or two.  Hope you are enjoying your lives as much as you can, given your individual circumstances.  You never know when life will throw you a curve ball, bean you in the forehead and get you carted off the field on a stretcher, amirite?  Sorry, odd baseball reference.  came out of nowhere.  I'll stop trying to be clever and go play computer games to get my mind off things.  See you next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...