Monday, October 31, 2022

29, 30 - The Influence, Rocky Horror

Continuing a stream of movies I have not seen before, two new ones tonight.  And yes, I know you're looking at the title and going "wait, he's never seen the rocky horror picture show before?" to which i answer "No, no I have not, and yes, I know it's like 45 years old, what's your point?" to which you would probably say something like "Dude!"  And then I'd just kind of look at you and shrug.  I don't know, I have all these weird conversations with people in my head, and reality never seem to go that way.

The Influence (2019) is about a nurse who returns home to care for her dying mother, and finds an evil influence in her childhood home.  Yea, that's pretty much the synopsis for the movie ripped right from netflix.  It's kind of hard to improve on it without giving things away.

This flick was another foreign language flick.  Spain seems to be making a lot of horror films lately, for which I applaud their efforts.  Viva espana!  or something like that.  Seriosuly though, you can't go wrong making a horror film.  Either you make a goofy piece of garbage and it becomes a cult classic, or you make a really good horror flick and it becomes a cult classic.  One way or another, the fans are going to find you, they're going to get you get you get you get you, one way, or another...  Sorry I've lapsed into song lyrics.  The acting was decent, the effects about average for a flick of this type.  The props department seemed to go out of their way on this one, finding a lot of old skulls and antlers and bones and magical amulets, and quite frankly the spider wrangler must have had his hands full.  of spiders.  Plot was coherent, at least.  Ending was okay.  Check it out on netflix if you want.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) is about a recently-engaged couple who get a flat on a lonely old road and end up hiking back to a castle full of sexual deviants.  Well, for the time.  I mean, this was 1975.  By today's standards, the "sexual deviants" are pretty normal.

I had never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show before today.  Mainly because there are a lot of singing numbers in it.  Susan Sarandon plays Janet Weiss, Barry Bostwick plays Brad Majors, and Tim Curry is, of course, Dr. Frankenfurter.  Meatloaf (the rock singer, not the ground beef dish) makes a brief appearance.  I forced myself to watch it this time.  No really, I had to force myself to watch it.  The singing numbers just sort of make me want to head into the other room and fold clothes.  It's a weird sort of response to musical numbers, I grant you.  In any case, we all know how the story goes.  I'm not going to give away any major spoilers here, even for a 45-year-old movie.  But let's face it.  They sing a lot.  That's not even a spoiler.  I'm not really a huge fan of musicals.

Acting was good, I mean, it's a cult classic, ffs.  I was watching it with some friends who mentioned something about "callbacks."  Took me a while to figure out what they were talking about.  I guess that's when the audience actually shouts back at the actors on the screen as they do their lines or whatever.  I was told this is so much better as a play, but I've never gone to see a play in my life, so I'm probably not going to start now.  Seeing Tim Curry belting out a song in drag was kind of cool.  Tim Curry is always awesome and Susan Sarandon has always been breathtaking.  Effects were, well, I mean, you've seen it, right?  I'm probably the only one on the planet who hasn't already seen it.  I guess this movie is viewed at midnight on Halloween night every year in some theater in NYC or something.  I have no idea.  I don't go to plays.  I think I mentioned this already.  Anyways, if you like musicals, i guess this one is a must.  No monsters, though.  Kind of a let down, there.

In other news, I am now all caught up.  One movie left to review for tomorrow and I have several options to go.  Since losing most of basic cable I'm not seeing the normal string of alloween movies that I'd watch every year, and this is probably the first year since the late 70s that I am not seeing it, but hey, I have the movie memorized, ffs.  If I miss it one year, I'll just pick up the tradition again next year, right?  Right.  Assuming I am able to.  I hope I am.  It's late, and I am still sore, and still recovering.  My left eye is doing this twitchy thing and my left arm is aching like it was broken and never quite healed correctly, but that never happened so I am just guessing that's what it feels like.  Hope you guys had a good Halloween weekend, and since it's now officially after midnight, Happy Halloween!  I'll be back tomorrow for one final review, capping off OHMRAT (October Horror Movie Review-A-Thon) for another year.  For now, enjoy what's left of your night!  Or get some sleep, you look tired.  Or, put down the bottle and find your pants.  Whichever applies to you.  You know which it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...