Saturday, October 29, 2022

27, 28 - Eerie, Hubie Halloween

Yep, still trying to catch up on the movies for this month, but you know what?  Some of these movies really suck.  And since there's nobody at home tonight on the saturday two days before Halloween, except possibly me, I am watching whatever I gosh-darned well want to.

Eerie (2018) is about an all-girls catholic school that gets rattled by the suicide of a young girl.  There'sa  counselor that tries to look into what's going on, but she gets her impromptu investigation shut down by the senior nun who runs the school.  What's the nun trying to hide?  IS THERE EEVIL AFOOT?  ;-/

I think my summation is probably better than the actual movie here.  This one wasn't bad, another foreign-language film that occasionally switches to english just to throw off the subtitles. The plot is coherent, but the movie relies on jump-scares to generate tension and that's just lame.  Acting and effects were cheap and easy for a movie of this type.  Would probably have been better without the jump scares, but i guess they had to call it a horror movie for some reason.  Other than that, actually wasn't bad.  Check it out on netflix. worth a watch, the ending was actually not horrible.  One thing i want to mention before I wrap this up, the one young girlw as talking about all the horrible things her mother had done to her, and that horrible thing was... she cut her hair.  No, like, short.  yeah.  i laughed.  i think this movie was unintentionally funny, but not really scary, which makes it funny-scary.

Hubie Halloween (2020) is becoming a bit of a halloween favorite for me.  Hubie lives in Salem, and defends the people from monsters on halloween night every year.  The only problem is, there are no monsters.  So Hubie is kind of a pain in the but to the police, and everyone in town picks on him and makes fun of him.  But this halloween... yeah.  you know it.  This halloween is going to be different.

I think I first reviewed this one back in 2020, when it came out, but I'm reviewing it again.  It's got some good messages in it, and ends heart-warmingly well, which is unusual for a horror movie, but not for a horror comedy, which this is.  And lets face it, spooky season isn't just for fear-loving adults like myself, but also for the little kid in us that loves to be scared and safe at the same time.  Everyone in adam sandler's (hubie) usual films is in this, Rob Schneider, Steve Buscemi, some comedians from saturday night live, and even Ray Liotta, probably the last decent movie i saw him in before his death.  So if you're looking for a movie that makes you want to eat some halloween candy and hug your recently-deceased mother even though she's been in your house since her death almost 8 months ago, this is definitely the movie you want to watch.  I know, that's very specific, but there's at least one or two of you out there who know what I mean.  Yes, I'm talking to you.

In other news, it's halloween weekend and i'm still a movie behind.  Three movies to catch up on in two days!  Can I do it?  Can i review 31 moives in 31 days?  Probably not!  Tell you guys what, if I don't get 31 movie rviews in by monday night, I will eat a whole pizza, by myself, earlier tonight.  Hah, tricked you, I've already eaten a whole pizza by myself this evening, so the jokes' on you!  I'm covered either way.  If I flub it up and don't make it to 31 movie reviews, I've already eaten the whole pizza, and if i do make it to 31 reviews by monday night, then I had a hearty and very filling supper this evening!

I hope all of you are having fun this spooky season.  Maybe next year I'll actually be at a halloween party instead of sitting home watching sad halloween movies by myself.  Hey, stop giggling, it could happen.  I've been to Halloween parties before.  Okay, mostly when I was a kid, but not always.  Hey a lot can change in a year!  if I don't freeze to death this winter or starvve to death over the summer, I might actually be doing okay by next spooky season!  I guess we'll see how things go.  I am certainly living in exciting times.  Have fun peeps!  Halloween is almost upon us!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...