Saturday, October 15, 2022

13, 14 - No One Gets Out Alive / Curse of Bridge Hollow

Yep, I am behind again.  I'm not even sure why I am bothering to do 31 movie reviews this months.  It really is very difficult and time-consuming to find a horror movie to review every day.  It's not that there aren't 31 horror movies out there, it's that I've already seen and reviewed most of them already.  still i didn't manage it last year because i was too busy, and i feel like I owe you guys a month's worth, so here they are.  we'll see what happens next year.  Here are two more i have not seen and not reviewed yet.

No One Gets Out Alive (2021) follows the story of an illegal immigrant from mexico renting a room at a boarding house and running into some odd shenanigans.  Ambar is having a bad enough time trying to work a day job and find a place to stay, let alone worrying about being deported, and having nightmares about the time she nursed her ailing mother.  On top of all that, she's got to deal with bad dreams about an old stone box that some archaeologist picked up from somewhere.  I mean, let's face it, she's having a bad week.

This isn't a bad movie.  Gets a little weird towards the end but not so bad you can't tell what's going on.  Some parts are in spanish, because Ambar is spanish.  Some of the actors looked a bit famiiliar to me but I couldn't place where I'd seen them before.  Acting was passably okay, effects were all right for a movie of this type.  On netflix if you want to watch it.  I think it was worth a watch, but I'm not sure if I'd watch it again.  Once you'd seen it the first time, there's not much more point to a second viewing.  The movie wasn't so filled with action that it's a popcorn-munching roller coaster, so watching it once should be sufficient.

The Curse of Bridge Hollow (2022) is about a teen girl who accidentally lights a magical turnip that releases the spirit of Stingy Jack, presumably the origin of the legends about Jack-O-Lanterns.  I'm kinda spoiling things a little bit, but that's basically what happens in the first 15 minutes or so, so it's not like I'm really ruining the movie for you.  The teen girl then has to do something even more horrible to get Stingy Jack back into his pumpkin.. she has to... team up with her dad!  :-o  (shudder)

The Curse of Bridge Hollow is also on netflix, if you want to see it.  More comedy then horror, but still watchable.  Lots of known actors in this one, almost all veterans as far as I can tell, so generally good acting across the board here.  Special effects were enjoyably good.  Was even sort of funny in spots, though the comedy elements were not too over the top.  Might even be worth a second watch next october, as it was one of those enjoyable popcorn movies with a decent amount of action.

In other news, it's late and i am still a movie behind, but I am not going to get to it tonight.  I'll try and snag two tomorrow, if there's time.  Been kind of a rough week for me, though nothing out of the ordinary has happened, so nothing to worry about.  Just need to rest up a bit more and I should be right as rain soon enough.  Hopefully then i can catch up.  Two more weeks of reviews to go!  I hope i'm not frantically trying to type up reviews on Halloween night, like usual.  :-D  Til next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...