Thursday, October 13, 2022

12 - Ghost of War (2020)

Yep, I know, I'm a little behind again.  One day, it's not horrible.  I'm already almost caught up, just need to write some more reviews, but that's tomorrow's work.  In other news it's late and i want to get this review in before it 's after midnight, so i'm just going to jump right in.

Ghosts of War (2020) is about a squad (ok it's 5, i'm not sure how many that is, but i'm calling it a squad) of soldiers during ww2 heading to a mansion to hold it until reinfrocements arrive.  It's a nice mansion, and it' already been liberated from the germans, but there's one problem with it.  It's haunted.

First, I want to say, I love horror movies set during ww2.  There have been so many of them over the years and putting a bunch of worn-out ww2 soldiers into the middle of a horror setting is brilliant.  The Nazis make perfect villains, and the idea that they'd do anything (including breaking the laws of nature) to preserve themselves is very believable.  My second thought is trying to figure out why they decided to put a squad of soldiers there already, and then, send these five guys in to relieve them.  I mean, it's a little confusing.  At one point, and I don't want to give anything away so i will be vague, but the soldiers are told that if they leave, they will die.  But the other squad left just fine.  So (1) knowing kinda how it ends, I am a little confused as to why the first squad was there in the first place, and (2) why they did it that way.  Meh.  So here's my real problem with this movie.  If you're going set a ovie in a ww2 horror setting, leave it there.  It's like they wrote themselves into a corner and didn't know how to get out and they used the usual bad writing tricks to save themselves.  It's annoying.  Anyways, let me move on before I get into a rant.

Okay, I recognzied some of the actors in this.  Several of them look like they were just in a war movie i saw somewhere else.  they have that look about them, you know?  Like they just went through hell, and haven't quite come out the other side yet.  I was surprised to see billy zane pop up as a german officer, but it was pretty funny.  I'm watching one of them in so help me todd, a series on regular TV.  I didn't think I'd like it, but it's like a crime-solving thing where the main character (todd)'s partner is actually his mom, and I thought that was funny.  Anyways, so there's a few recognizable faces, the acting and effects were decent for a movie of this type, and it's on netflix if you want to watch it.  I did not like the ending, but maybe you have a different opinion.  I swear, it was good right up until then.  I mean, they had an hour and 15 minutes of decent b-movie horror going on here, and then they just, blew it.  Oh well.  I think any ending would have been better than what they came up with, but then, what they came up with wasn't even an ending.  Bleh.  I'm ranting again.

In other news, it's almost halfway through the month, and i seem to be doing okay finding movies to watch.  I thought I'd have trouble this year, but so far so good.  I've only seen one movie once already and it just came out and i didn't review it when it did, so that one (Day Shift) doesn't really count.  Plus, it was a decent movie.  So don't blame me if some of these movies i review are crap.  I have no way of knowing how bad or good they are going to turn out, because i have never seen any of them before.  Maybe next year, if I am in a better position, I will do a month of just halloween favorites.  Films I have seen over and over through the years, ones i find really represent the month of october and halloween, and are bona fide good and fun movies to watch.  But not this year.  I am not in that position yet.  But I am working on it.

Til next time, ppls!  I know, I'm still a review behind.  Almost caught up, i swear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...