Sunday, October 20, 2019

#20 - Critters Attack (2019)

Critters used to be one of my favorite horror movie series.  Like most series, they did a great job on the first one, and so-so on everything that came after.  I recall watching the first movie and thinking how isolated the family of farmers were, how creepy it was having everything happen at night...  and then how goofy the Critters looked.  Hey, it was the 80s, and CGI hadn't been invented yet.  The Critters were rubber hand puppets, okay?  It was a good monster movie for its time!  Quit dissing my genre!

Critters Attack! (2019) is the story of Drea, a pizza-delivery girl, who's just going about her job when a meteor shoots down one night, and ...  you guessed it... All hell breaks loose!  In this case, the Hell I am talking about are Critters, technically known as Crytes, aliens in the form of small, vicious, spiny, bite-y, claw-y little aliens that want nothing more than to eat every single organic thing in sight.  Earth is a smorgasbord, and it's an all-you-can-eat buffet line, free of charge!

I may trademark that line, "Earth is a smorgasbord," because these critters are almost as hungry as I am.  I may be an alien.  :-/  This movie was made by Syfy, and that's where I saw it, so they will probably play it again at some point if you want to see it.  If you've enjoyed other Critters movies in te past, you'll probably like this one, too.  It's about the same as the rest, but not as good as the first one.  This movie itself was so-so, the dialogue a bit awkward, but I like that the heroes that they focus on are basically just a group of kids trying to make it through their day, pretty much like all the other Critters movies.  The critters looked about as real as they ever have, so, that's something, at least.  Quite a nod to the rubber-monster-movies of the 70's and 80's, and not that fake CGI shit they are trying to pass off as the new normal.

In other news, I got my reviews done early!  Yay!  I like this!  I know it won't last, but it's nice to have my shit together for at least one day.  Tomorrow, I am sure I will return to the regularly-scheduled out-of-control dumpster-fire that you all know and love.  Until then, have fun!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...