Saturday, October 12, 2019

#10 - Happy Death Day 2U (2019)

I hate time travel scenarios, especially in horror movies.  It's too easy to just reset the damn thing so it never happened, and no one dies.  That's not horror, that's just loopy science fiction.  By the time the end comes, people like me are just so damned confused and happy to see the end finally arrive that you can put anything in there, and we'll just applaud and run away.  That having been said, tonight's horror movie involves time travel, because I saw the first one, at this point, it's become a series.

Happy Death Day 2U (2019) is the sequel to the first movie, where "Tree" wakes up in he same place, at the same time, on the same day, every morning, on the day she is killed.  It's like Groundhog Day with Bill Murray, but there's a killer trying to kill Bill Murray every single day he's re-doing, over and over.  In this movie, Tree finally figures out WHY she's re-doing the same day over and over, and not only has to put a stop to that, but also to the killer, who is now not who she thought it was in the first movie, but is someone else because... time travel.

Do you see why I hate time travel?  The whole concept is horrible.  I'm so glad we haven't found a way to do that yet, as far as I know.  It would just screw up life as much as it has screwed up horror movies.  This movie actually wasn't god-awful, apart from the confusing and mind-bending plot.  The acting was okay, the effects were decent, and the production values were better than some single-camera sci-fi movie shot in the 1940s by college students in black and white, so, there's that.  I caught this on HBO, so if you somehow got sucked into the first movie thinking it was just a plain old horror flick, and now you have to see the second one just to see wtf is going on, then go watch it there.  Honestly, I could have gone without either of them.  Ugh.  Time travel.

I still have the flu.  Fun stuff.  Still haven't caught up with my movies yet.  Going to have to work at it when I get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...