Saturday, October 20, 2018

#20 - Kuntilanak (2018)

I'm not sure what horror movies have to offer anymore, other than jump scares and creepy whispers.  I don't know, maybe I am getting burned out on horror or maybe film-makers of today just don't know how to actually scare audiences anymore, like with good acting, character development and atmosphere, and just going for the jump scares and CGI effects.  Honestly, it gets a little boring.

Kuntilanak (2018) sets the scene right off, in the first few moments.  A little boy who misses his mother is taken into an old antique mirror by a Kuntilanak, an evil spirit that steals children.  Nearby, a foster mother raising 5 adopted children has to leave her children for a few weeks, and you just know the Kuntilanak is soon going to find fresh prey.

Kuntilanak is a foreign film (to me, anyways, I think it's Indian, and I don't mean Native American), and I don't know who makes it, but it's full of the aforementioned jump-scares and spooky whispers.  I guess the effects are okay, but the cast of child actors aren't really outstanding as far as I can tell, and I found myself yawning through most of the spirit's appearances.  I don't know, maybe I am just sleepy, but this movie seemed to go very slow, and I was pretty much just waiting for the cast of idiots to figure things out and end it before I dozed off.  Nothing really new here at all, and aside from the mildly Indian background, nothing to make it stand out.  Not going to watch that again.

In other news, there was a hailstorm here this afternoon, and there was a tornado that tore a hole in a roof in a condominium in my town, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow morning.  I guess Old Man Winter is announcing his presence early this year.  Yeah, we get it.  Winter is Coming.  Game of Thrones has been warning us for years.  If I see a White Walker, screw that Dragon-Glass shit.  I am hiding in my basement.  Catch you guys next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...