Monday, October 14, 2013

Horror movie review #14 - The Asphyx (1973)

Tonight I thought I'd got back to some classic horror, or at least, I was hoping this one would be more classic, being from the early 70's.  They knew how to do horror back then.  Or at least, hammer studios did, and this was made at Shepperton studios in england, the SAME COUNTRY as Hammer studios!  So!  They must be similiar, right?  :-D

Okay, my hypothesis isn't very good.   I'm not the greatest scientist ever, okay?  Sheeesh.

Let's sum up.  The Asphyx (made in 1973 and pronounced Ass-fix), is the greek term for the, oh, spirit, or essence of a man's death, I guess you'd call it.  So there's this victorian-age scientist meddling around with photography at the time of death back in the late 1800's, and he finds this smudge on his films.  A few experiments and some lighting adjustments later, and he realizes the smudge is actually the Asphyx, some sort of entity that is responsible for taking the life of the dying man.  More experiments and more adjustments, and the scientist decides he may actually be able to capture the thing!  Since this is a horror movie, you already know this is a very bad idea.  BUT, like all determined scientists, he ignores all the advice he's given about not meddling with things he shouldn't.  What's the point of capturing an asphyx, you ask?  Why, if you can capture a man's asphyx at the moment of his death, then he'd be immortal!  He could never die!  Of course, being a scientist, he needs to test his theory!  He needs a guinea pig, of sorts!  Or, you know, an actual guinea pig...  lol

I'm not really sure I understand the science behind this movie.  My general knowledge of biology, medicine, chemistry and physics is actually pretty decent, but I don't get the logical conclusion of how capturing an Asphyx can stop death.  I mean, since they describe the asphyx, at least from a greek mythology standpoint, as some sort of spirit that can only inhabit the bodies of those near death, then why should that stop actual death?  It's not like they are capturing death, unless what they improperly describe as a spirit is actually the "personal death" of whoever it appears near at the moment of their death.  In any case, another question I have is how the hell they can add a few drops of water to a blue powder and not only create a brilliant blue light, but that the powder never actually runs out of the ability to make light as long as it's kept wet?  Odd.  The rest of it is pretty self-explanatory.

I don't think I'd watch this movie again.  One, I don't need my ass fixed.  lol  Sorry, couldn't resist.  Two, it's not really that good.  I mean it sort of starts the movie in modern times and then snaps back to the late 1800's and then finishes an entire story and then snaps back to a few moments before the very first scene of the movie, and it seems like none of the beginning and ending scenes are finished.  It's not hard to figure out what happens and all, i just wish they'd have been more obvious about it.  Three, you know, there's just no nudity.  And the deaths?  I mean, come on.  I'm glad this guy was just taking pictures up til the start of this story because he is the most goddamn accident prone scientist i have ever seen.  If he was Dr. Frankenstein, the monster would be nothing but reanimated bits and pieces, his lab would be a ruin, and Igor would have been electrocuted.  lol

In other news, I am feeling slightly better.  This thing sure is taking it's time leaving.  Oh well.  Hopefully it won't be too much longer.  I'm getting sick and tired of being, well, sick and tired.  lol  Until tomorrow night, then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...