Saturday, October 13, 2012

# 12 - The Shrine

Continuing my streak of unseen movies yet again!

MOVIE:  The Shrine (2010)

PLOT:  A reporter out to make her career hears about the disappearance of an american in poland.  Against the wishes of her editor, she flies an intern, herself and her boyfriend out to try and track down what happened to him.

BAD POINTS:  No nudity, despite ample opportunity for it.  Two reasonably hot female cast members, too.  Sigh.  Also, half the movie is in polish.  I turned on the english subtitles and was treated to:  "speaking in native language" through half the dialogue.  lol  Luckily, I speak polish, so I've left a rough translation of the main scene in spoilers, below.

GOOD POINTS:  Beautifully done!  Well acted, well shot, special effects were reasonably disturbing without being CGI or latex-involved. Most of the plot twists were completely unexpected, and I am pretty sure I've never seen them in a horror movie like this before.

SPOILERS:  Right, here's the translation:  "Oh flying spaghetti monster, we leave you this basket of fried chicken in the hopes of your divine intervention.  You see, I haven't been laid in months, and what I'd really like is a hot date with an american pole dancer with big titties.  No, make that huge titties.  Thank you, oh flying spaghetti monster!  We worship your noodly appendages!  All of them!  Plus, we think you'd taste great with meatballs and sauce.  Yours truly, Chad."  At least, I am pretty sure that's what he said during the main sacrifice scene.  My polish might be a little rusty, it's been 32 years.  I know "tack" means yes in polish.  So does "Baaa-aaaa."  Or maybe that's new zealanderese.  Gah, I speak so many languages, I get messed up.  Also, I think the statue is of a goblin.  lol

IMPRESSIONS:  Okay, I jest.  I have NO idea what the polish lines were, but I liked this movie.  Pleasantly surprised.  The reviews on netflix were mixed.  I have seen a lot of the reviews on netflix mention that there are no english subtitles but have never run into it myself until now.  All the movies I've seen so far have had english subtitles by the time i caught them, so hopefully at some point this one might too.  But, you can basically figure out what they are saying through most of the movie, through the actions of the characters.  Body language speaks volumes.  Also, they mention how the characters make horrible decisions throughout the movie.  I was thinking something along the lines of a Friday the 13th movie, but basically it's just one character that makes the bad decisions, and the other two are sort of caught between just abandoning her to her fate and helping her, and it's really hard to choose to just leave her at that point.  Just shows how one person's stupid decisions can really fuck up another person's life.

Definitely worth a watch, even without knowing what they are saying through half the movie.  Just watch the action and it doesn't really matter what's being said, although you can pretty much guess most of it isn't good for the main characters.  lol  Worth watching again once they get the subtitles in, if ever.

OTHER NEWS:  Decided to re-sort my Netflix instant queue and found this one just waiting there for me.  Might have a few other ones laying around in there to watch.  Also, I have a DVD collection of old drive-in movies that have a lot of crappy old horror movies on them that I probably have never seen before, so if netflix runs out I can always search those.  Might even make it til the end of the month without reviewing any movies I have reviewed before, but I may do double features some nights.  There's a ton of classics I want to watch this month like The Fog, Darkness Falls, Halloween, Phantoms...  There's a huge list.  We'll see what I can squeeze in before Halloween night.  Definitely getting into the  halloween spirit.  Or, it could be all the halloween candy I have already scarfed.  The kids will be lucky if I leave them a few torn wrappers with melted choco-bits on the insides.  lol

See you tomorrow night for #13!  Wheeee!  Riding the chocolate high into the wee hours tonight.  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...