Thursday, October 11, 2012

#11 - Night of the Scarecrow

Well, I was hoping to get farther than 10 movies, but I knew it had to happen sometime.  I've run out of good horror movies to watch.  I know!  Unbelievable, isn't it?  I must have scoured netflix for HOURS tonight.  Managed to start and stop about a half a dozen movies that looked decent at first glance, only to realize I had either seen them before, or that they were ridiculously horrible.  I'm not even talking B-movie horrible, but so horrible they bankrupted the movie company that made them, AND killed the careers of the actors that tried to act in them.  Yea, that bad.  So, tonight's movie is one that I don't THINK i've seen before, but it looked like it was one of those made for TV ones, and I may have forgotten it.  Still, it wasn't horrible.

MOVIE:  Night of the Scarecrow.  No, not DARK night of the scarecrow, or Scarecrows (both good movies).

PLOT:  Some ancient moldy old warlock is broken out of his tomb by a drunken idiot, and takes the form of a nearby scarecrow to exact revenge against the descendants of the people that killed him.

GOOD POINTS:  Some nudity, in a move that looks made for TV!  :-o  Shocking.  Ancient warlocks returning from the grave is always a good plot device.  Decent acting.  Lots of gore.

BAD POINTS:  Could have done better with the lead characters.  A slut and a dumb-as-a-brick foreman don't scream "heroic!" to me.  Special effects weren't exactly good.  Deaths were sort of silly.

IMPRESSIONS:  Not bad.  I've seen worse.  It was entertaining, rolled quite easily from one scene to the next, and the veteran actors who played the older townsfolk were good in their roles, if a bit over the top.  Short and to the point, too, so it didn't drag along at all.

SPOILERS:  Honestly, I was kind of rooting for the scarecrow.  Seriously, this chick blows into town to say hi to her family and within 3 minutes of driving up in front of the town hall, she's making slut-eyes at some guy who looks like he would have licked his hand and smoothed back his greasy hair if he were ten years older.  And these two are the heroes of the film?  Sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel, were we?  i thought they were going to be the first ones to die!  lol  Let the poor scarecrow have his book back and buy him a hooker already.

OTHER NEWS:  Shit, I may have to start reviewing things I have seen before but haven't reviewed before.  And since I'm way too lazy to go back through and read every one of my blog posts (there's almost 4 years worth) I MAY review something i've reviewed before.  But don't hold me to it.  There's always the classics to fall back on, certainly some I've never reviewed before, but have seen numerous times.  We'll see what I can dig up tomorrow night.  Supposedly, there's a horrorfest starting on some channel on the 13th and going til the 31st, so maybe i'll get lucky and they won't show the same tired old stuff.  lol

I caught "Last Resort" before the vp debates tonight.  I did not, of course, watch the debates.  By all accounts, Joe biden couldn't form a coherent sentence with help from a harvard graduate, and the other guy is 42 years old.  I'm 42 years old, and I can't even imagine what would happen if I was president.  Anarchy in the streets, riots in the cities, blood on the highway, drugs in your kids' hands, your daughter knocked up, and that's just the first 100 days.  What?  Well yea, that IS my running platform.  Who doesn't want drugs and drunken orgies with hot chicks?  I'm going to be a two-term president FOR SURE!  :-D

Err, anyway, "Last Resort"...  Meh.  Really starting to lose interest.  A thug with like half a dozen guys with guns manages to kill a member of the crew of this rogue submarine, and they get away with it?  Look, they scared the SHIT out of washington with detonating a nuke off the coast in the first or second episode already, and they can't take care of a damn machete-wielding thug?  Please.  I'm willing to take some shit for the sake of the plot, but that's a LOT of shit.  lol  Just gut him already.  From his violence level and the supposed "cargo" he had to deliver, he's probably a drug runner anyway.  Just kill him and pull out if you have to.  I mean, the commander is blockaded in, surrounded, lost the electronic edge they had, and it's not even like he has walls to hide behind.  There's a whole OCEAN out there, and hiding on an island where everyone knows where you are, sure as HELL isn't going to get you anywhere.  It's the first rule of being a submarine commander...  Once they locate you, you're dead!

That's all for tonight.  Feeling back to my usual self.  See you guys tomorrow for #12!  Let's hope I can find something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...