Monday, August 30, 2010

The Best Laid Plans...

My one nephew has a saying. Piss poor plans yield piss poor results.

He's an ex-manager. If you haven't noticed from my previous posts how I feel about management and authority in general, you haven't been paying attention. Even worse, he's an ex SALES manager. Yea, I did my best to raise him right, but I'm only the uncle. I tried. (shrugs)

I used to believe that saying. I like planning things. I like planning for eventualities, and different outcomes. I still think it's possible to plan a system that takes mistakes into account, and thereby create a self-repairing system. I haven't been able to manage it yet, but the theory is sound.

So it was with a decent amount of foresight and planning that I requested a vacation from my job for last week. I hadn't given my boss the full two weeks notice that I was required to (a full two weeks notice would have me off this week instead of last week), but he came back immediately and told me my vacation was approved. See, we'd been having an incredibly hot summer, and I wanted a week off to enjoy it, relax, and play PC games, my first love.

Yes, I know, some of you already can see this coming, but I really didn't. I mean, most of my days are spent relaxing, goofing off and playing PC games anyway, so how could not going into work make a difference? Well, first thing I found out when I got home that day several weeks ago, was my nephew was coming to stay with us. Yes, the ex-sales manager. And his new wife, and the baby as well, woooohoooo!

I groaned when I heard the news. Oh sure, for a sales manager, my nephew is generally an OK guy, and I don't have any issues with his wife or the baby staying with us. We have the room and dear old mom could use the company. But, as is always the case when family comes to visit, OTHER family comes to visit them as well. Thus, my week off of alone time quickly became a mad rush to get out and do as many things as humanly possible while they were staying here.

And that was only the beginning. In a summer that averaged 85 to 90 degrees every day for two months straight, with little or no rain, I picked the one week off where the high temperature hit 68 for two days that week, and the highest it got was 75. Oh, and it rained half the time and was cloudy the rest. Yea, wth was I thinking?

Needless to say, running out so much also impacted my nice relaxing game time. Sigh.

So of course, here I am back to work this week... and it's going to be 90 degrees and sunny for 4 days straight. While I am at work.

I know, you're thinking "Hey, there's always this coming weekend... the relatives will be gone and it'll still be nice and warm." Well, you'd be WRONG! This weekend is our annual labor day picnic filled with OTHER relatives, and on top of that, a cold front is supposed to come in and make it rain.

Just bloody well figures. Fuck planning, I am taking my pleasure when and where I can get it! Piss poor planning, HAH!! HAH I SAY!!!!!!

Did i mention the nephew staying with us is the one who has that saying? He's trying to sell me diet supplements while he's here. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...