Friday, October 9, 2020

9 - Incarnate (2016)

I'm fond of most horror movies, but like anyone with a pulse, there are things I don't like, and things I just love.  I think monsters are awesome.  I just love all the different kinds of beasties that people come up with, and just giving them a reason to exist in the world means they are going to run into people at some point, and often bad things happen when monsters and people intersect.  Then, of course, there are demons.  Bad things happen around Demons.

Incarnate (2016) is a more modern take on the Demonic Exorcism movies.  A psychic exorcist uses drugs and a team of technicians to help him tap into the subconsciousness minds of possessed people, and evict the demons from the host's mind with the help of the hosts themselves.  The exorcist does this because his wife and son were killed by a demon called Maggie, and he wants revenge.  Sounds easy enough, but first you have to find this "Maggie" demon, and then you actually have to evict it from its current host.  Maggie finally turns up in a little boy, and the exorcist tries to evict it.  The only problem is, Maggie is not just a demon, but an Arch-Demon.  And what happens when you fail at evicting an Arch-Demon?  That's right!  All hell breaks loose!  Ding ding!  You go to the head of the class.

I saw this movie on HBO Zone last night, if you want to catch it there.  Special effects were minimal and passably okay, but the acting was pretty sub-par.  Aaron Eckhart plays the disabled exorcist who spends most of his time in a wheelchair, but they try to make this into an action movie of sorts, and it's not really working.  Supporting cast was meh.  I liked the fact that he transmits his psyche into the subconscious minds of the victims and tries to free them from their dream-like comatose state to evict the demon, but they could have had so much more fun with it, and they didn't really go there.  Also cool is the vatican just keeping a possessed guy in cage somewhere for study, which brings up the question, what does happen to demons when they aren't exorcised, and the victims don't die?  Is there a middle road?  Apparently, there is!  Ending is pretty much predictable, since they foreshadow it throughout the entire movie.  I've seen this movie before, I think I even reviewed it a few years ago, but it's not really worth watching a second time.

In other news, I have a headache in my entire upper body.  Yeah, fun stuff.  Old neck injury acting up again, so I'm going to call it quits with this short review and try and get some relief.  Hope everyone out there is having more fun than I am, and enjoying the lovely weather we are having, in some places.  If it's not nice where you are and you can't get out to see the fall foliage (I can't, my brakes are shot at the moment, and I'm still waiting for them to get fixed), then I hope you're enjoying some horror movies!  The Haunting of Bly manor dopped on Netflix today, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.  It looks like horror, but it's a series, so not really the best subject for a review this month.  Still, if I can check it out, I'll let you know what i think.  That's all for tonight!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...