Thursday, October 8, 2020

8 - Hubie Halloween (2020)

Yep, I'm reviewing an Adam Sandler movie.  It's come to this.  Ten years ago, I was at the top of my game.  Today, I'm reviewing an Adam Sandler movie.  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  (cries for about an hour)  Oh, you're still here?  And you really want to read this?  Well.  Shit.  (wipes tears away)  Let's do this, then.

Hubie Halloween (2020) is about that guy.  You know him.  We all know him.  That one guy who's a total nerd, a dweeby dorkface, the one everyone picks on.  Hubie Dubois's favorite holiday is, of course, Halloween.  Hubie's life mission is to keep everyone in the town of Salem, Massachusetts safe, every single Halloween.  Hubie gets a lot of abuse for this.  Kids throw things at him.  Adults pick on him.  Co-workers at the deli counter play pranks on him.  Let's face it, Hubie is not very popular, because he's a nice guy.  Nobody likes a nice guy, especially today.  Because today is, you guessed it, Halloween.

This movie is pretty much about as Halloween as any movie could get, except it's not actually scary.  Adam Sandler is Hubie Dubois, the town dork who manages to save the day by being who he is, I suppose, much like Kung Fu Panda, and I'm sorry I just compared Adam Sandler to Master Po.  Julie Bowen is a nice neighbor lady Violet Valentine who happens to be a foster mom (Sandler's kids play her children), Kevin James is Sgt. Steve Downey, her former husband and the law and order in town.  Rob Schneider and Steve Buscemi play a couple of escaped lunatics, and Ray Liotta pops up as one of Hubie's bullies.  There's a lot of other celebrities in this, so if you want to see the lows they've sunk to for money, hey, watch them show up here.  The plot was moderately coherent, I even laughed at some of the interactions between Hubie and his mom (June Squibb), and her shirts were a wonderful running gag throughout the movie.  The thermos was just ridiculous.  I watched this movie on netflix, where it was released yesterday.  I guess this was okay to watch once, but I can't really recommend it, unless Halloween comedies starring Adam Sandler are really your thing, and if they are, I feel bad for you.  Seek therapy.

In other news, yesterday was my mom's 88th birthday, so, yay for her.  Probably should have mentioned this yesterday, but I miffed it, as usual.  Oh wells!  Hope everyone is having fun this October, staying safe, and watching plenty of horror films.  :-)  See you guys soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...