Wednesday, October 7, 2020

7 - Dr. Sleep (2019)

I've often started my October Horror Movie Review-A-Thon with The Shining (1980).  It's got one of the greatest opening sequences in the history of horror movies (in my opinion), and it's certainly one of the most classic scary movies that everyone should watch at least once every October.  It's got Jack Nicholson, a great set, and awesome effects.  I mean, who doesn't know Redrum, you know what I am saying?  Well, guess what?  There's a SEQUEL!  :-o

Dr. Sleep (2019) follows Danny Torrance, survivor of the Overlook Hotel, as a grown man.  Plagued by wandering spirits reaching out to him from the Overlook, Danny stumbles upon a friendly town, puts down roots, and starts cleaning up his life.  Danny begins to accept his gifts, but still keeps them hidden from most folks, because they are a bit off-putting, to say the least.  There's only one small problem.  Danny, as we all know, isn't the only one who shines.  Enter Abra Stone, a young woman who can do "magic" as she calls it.  And just like the Overlook Hotel is hungry for those that shine, so there are other things in the world, even people that hunger after those that shine.  Some of those things are hunting Abra, and Danny is the only one that can help her.

I think I've pretty much given away half the plot, but fuck it, I love this movie.  I saw it on one of the HBO channels over the summer, and I was going to review it then, but I decided to wait until October, because let's face it, this IS a horror flick.  How could I not honor the sequel to the Shining by giving it a spot in my horror movie review a thon?  I couldn't!  Ewan Macgregor (Obi-Wan himself) stars as an adult Danny Torrance, Kyliegh Curran is Abra Stone, Emily Alyn Lind (The Babysitter) is Snakebite Andi, and Rebecca Ferguson is Rose the Hat, quite possibly the sexiest and most stylish Villainess I have ever seen in a horror movie, and that includes the colon!  Sorry, had a little bit of undigested Airplane! in my gut.  I think I got it out.  Special Effects are awesome, and pretty much revolve around a psychic war between the good guys and the bad guys.  And guess where everything comes to a head?  You know it!  The Overlook Hotel!  Holy shit!  Could this sequel get any better?  I don't think so!  Catch it on HBO if you get the chance.  I've seen it twice already, and enjoyed it just as much both times.  Not as scary as the Shining, but scary in a different way.

In other news, it's late and I am hurting so I am going to call it a night, play a little bit before bed, and then hopefully enjoy the sweet sweet release of sleep, myself.  I just noticed Hubie Halloween (Adam Sandler) dropped on Netflix, so maybe I can review that tomorrow night.  I know, ugh, Adam Sandler, and meh, comedy, but fuck it.  Going to give it a shot and hope I can make it through without vomiting.

See you tomorrow night.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...