Sunday, October 4, 2020

4- Witches in the Woods (2019)

Not all horror movies are for everyone.  I watch a wide range of different sub-genres in the horror genre.  My personal favorite is monster movies.  I love seeing aliens and demons brought to life, either in my imagination from a great book, or from the special effects a good movie can evoke.  Not all horror movies even have monsters.  Sometimes, the monsters are the humans in the movie, themselves.

Witches in the Woods (2019) is about a bunch of teens heading out on a camping trip, like many many other horror movies.  It's snowy, apparently they are planning on camping out in the snow, or going to some cabin in the mountains, or something.  It's never really clear.  What is clear, is that they aren't going to make it.  The road is blocked.  To get around the block, they have to travel through Witch Country, basically a place where there were witch trials, but not as famous as the ones in Salem.  Apparently, there were a lot of places like that, because this isn't the first I've heard of it.  Somewhere along the way, they take a wrong turn, and end up lost in the wilderness.  Where...  Yep.  All hell breaks loose.  :-)

So this wasn't the best horror flick.  Acting was moderately passable at best.  Nobody famous that I could see.  Effects were minimal.  This story was more about what happens when things go wrong, and a bunch of impressionable young minds are left to their own devices to try and make things go right again.  No monsters, unless you count the humans.  Not even any witches, really, from all I could tell.  There were Woods, so the title was half right.  So what happened?  Well, bunch of horror movie characters make a lot of bad decisions.  As you may have seen from other horror movies, this is pretty much a thing that happens in horror movies.  Not surprising.

You can catch this movie on one of the showtime channels, if you want to watch it.  I think it was Showtime Next?  There wasn't anything spectacular about this movie, at least for me.  Maybe someone will get more out of it than I did.  I wouldn't watch it again.  It was pretty disappointing for me.  I mean, you get a title like Witches in the Woods, you want to at least see some, well, witches, amirite?  Right.  So, no witches, no monsters, just the evil that men and women and particularly teens, do to each other.  Which, in some instances, especially reality, can be horrifying enough for anyone.

So, in other news, Had an 88th birthday party for my mom, at my niece's house tonight.  Brakes worked fine going there.  Did not work the minute I got back in the car.  Brake pedal went all the way to the floor.  Figured I'd take it slow going home.  Then, the brake light came on, and it started to rain.  Was a rather exciting ride home, but nothing bad happened.  Pulled in safe and sound, and the rain had stopped by then.  Did have to pee, the whole way home, though.  Fun stuff!  :-)

Catch you guys tomorrow night.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...