Monday, October 1, 2018

OHMRAT Begins with The Witch (2015)

It's that time of year again, boys and girls!  No, not time to change your underwear, it's October Horror Movie Review-A-Thon!  Yay!  My favorite time of year!  Next to, you know, Christmas, and going to the beach in summer, and my birthday and, well, look let's just call it my favorite time of year, okay?  Okay.  Horror movies all month long!  Yay!  And yes, technically I could watch Horror movies all year long, but then where would I squeeze in Sci-Fi and Superhero movies?  Exactly.

The Witch (2015) is not exactly a movie about a Witch, but about a family who is socially ostracized from their community and has to make their way to the edge of the woods to eke out a living.  There's the mom and dad, and a bunch of youngins, and then one day the youngest of the youngins just sort of vanishes, without hide nor hair to tell them where it's gone.  This does not set the dad off on an action-adventure where he hunts down the Witch and lops her head off, as you might expect, but focuses instead on the trials and tribulations that follow the family even after such a devastating event.  And then, all Hell breaks loose!  :-D

Yay, I got to say it!  On the first day, on my first review!  Yeehawww!  I love it when a plan comes together.  Anya Taylor-Joy plays Thomasin, the teen girl who basically plays the protagonist in this movie, and there's a bunch of other people I don't recognize in the other roles.  You might recognize Anya Taylor-Joy from her roles in Morgan (as Morgan) and from Split as Casey Cooke (one of Split's captives), though I can't say as I did.  You might also recognize the mom, Katherine, who played Lysa Arryn in Game of Thrones (I didn't recognize her, either).  The acting was decent, the special effects minimal and effective, and the overall setting was pretty damned excellent.  The movie had atmosphere, and the plot was coherent, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't contradict itself.  A little confusing?  Sometimes, but Thomasin basically explains the whole damned thing, herself, so just watch the movie and let her tell it like it is.  It's on Netflix if you want to catch it.  I did like this movie.  There was some nudity, and some goats, and what seemed like a lot of useless drama, but it all makes sense in the end.  Would definitely watch again.  great for the first day of Horror month.

A quick review of the premieres I have seen so far.  Magnum PI (CBS, monday nights) isn't bad, and I'm surprised Tom Selleck didn't make a cameo or something.  Manifest (monday nights, NBC) sucks.  FBI (tuesday nights, CBS) doesn't look too bad, either.  At the very least, the explosions are fun to watch.  Gifted was back on Tuesday nights on FOX, I'm watching that again, too.  I also checked out Single parents, Murphy Brown (I never watched it during it's original run, and from the looks of it, I didn't miss anything), and Cool Kids.  Cool Kids has Martin Mull, who I normally enjoy watching, and Vickie Lawrence, but I don't know, half-hour shows are hard to get into.  Especially half-hour shows about old folks in an old folks home.  I guess it could be funny?  Meh.  Single parents has that big guy from Everybody Loves Raymond, but other than that, I'm not seeing anything good about any of those shows.  I'll update you guys as I see new shows.

That's all for tonight.  Catch you tomorrow for another review, if everything goes according to plan, and all Hell doesn't break loose.  Heh.  I got to say it twice!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...