Tuesday, October 2, 2018

#2 - Insidious, The Last Key (2018)

I'm replacing the obligatory introductory post full of nonesene with some useful information for a change.  Useful if you're a horror movie fan, anyways.  Halloween is being, uh, rebooted, I guess?  Jamie Lee Curtis returns as Laurie Strode, supposedly 40 years after the original Halloween movie.  They've decided to just ignore Halloween 2-6, I guess?  Or maybe 3 to 6.  I could see ignoring 3, I mean, that one wasn't part of the Michael Myers story line.  Anyways, hey, new Halloween movie coming out in theaters sometime this month!  I know, you're saying "They are just corrupting my childhood in search of more money."  Yeah, probably.  :-)

Insidious: The Last Key (2018) is a tale about Elise Rainier, a psychic investigator, investigating a haunting she began to experience early in her traumatic childhood.  Apparently there's a new tenant living in her old childhood home that's experiencing a haunting, and it sounds so eerily familiar to Elise that she just has to help the poor guy out.  At first, she intends leaving her duo of assistants home, lest she put them in mortal danger, but they ignore her wishes and decide to come along anyways.  Time for the scooby gang to solve another mystery in the mystery machine!

So, there's a lot of flashbacks in this movie, and in fact, I think the whole movie is actually one big flashback, since I think Elise actually died in one of he previous movies?  I'm not even sure if she's alive or dead at this point in this insidious timeline, so I guess this movie has flashbacks within flashbacks.  I'm so confused, but I think the movie basically makes sense.  Maybe?  I tried not to think about it too much, honestly.

Lin Shaye reprises her role as Elise Rainier, and she's got her psychic investigation team Tucker and Specs back with her this time.  Bruce Davison takes a turn playing Elise's estranged younger brother, and there's a couple new faces in the mix this time around.  The acting and special efects were decent, and there were the usual jump scares and creepy-looking spirits in the Other Place, or the Beyond, or Hell, or where-ever the hell Insidious calls the place where people go after they die.  Meh, these types of haunted spirit things don't even seem to stick with me anymore, for some reason.  Maybe I've seen too many horror movies?  Could be!  Would I watch it again?  No, probably not, but for fans of the Insidious series, I suppose it's worth a watch.  Catch it on Cinemax if you want to see it.

Two down, twenty nine reviews to go!  Woohooo!  Damn, I love horror movies.  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...