Monday, October 27, 2014

Horrorthon Review #26 - The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)

Yes, I know.  I'm extremely late with my post again.  I had out of town company, we went to dinner, and it's been a busy night!  Sheesh!  Nag.

The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014) starts out innocently enough.  A film crew is trying to do a documentary on Alzheimer's, so they choose an older woman named Deborah Logan who has been diagnosed as being in the early stages of the disease, to try and document not only the progression of the disease, but the effects on the caregivers, as well.  Her daughter, Sarah Logan, has contacted the documentary crew, and the crew has graciously offered to pay Sarah some money to help Deborah retain her house, and the foundation the camera crew works for has offered to help pay for part of Deborah's care.  At first, Deborah changes her mind when the crew arrives, but since Sarah is financially strapped, she convinces her mother to accept the presence of the film crew.  However, as the film crew settles in, Deborah begins to deteriorate rapidly.  The film crew, and Sarah, begin to wonder if she just has Alzheimer's, or if something more sinister is going on.

This is another sort of found footage film, but I think I'm just getting used to them  or maybe they are getting better as time goes on.  Nah, probably not.  This actually wasn't a bad film.  The only recognizable actress was Sarah, played by Anne Ramsey.  I've never actually heard of Anne Ramsey before, but the actress was instantly recognizable, so I guess she's one of those background character actors/actresses that do a lot of good work but never have any starring roles so you never find out who they are.  The acting was decent enough, and Sarah pretty much takes the lead throughout the entire film, aside from the title character, of course.  Special effects were minimal, as with most found footage films, and done decently enough, I suppose, except for one particular episode early on where there's obviously just a camera trick done to simulate what would otherwise be done with special effects.  It's kind of obvious when it happens, and seemed kind of cheaply done for the amount of time they spent focussing on it in the film.

Spoiler:  This is pretty much your bog-standard, found-footage possession film.  End spoiler.  People have been trying to remake the Exorcist since the movie came out, and this isn't the Exorcist Mark 2.  It's not bad, and there's even a little nudity, if you like naked old women, you pervert.  I wouldn't say this is something I wouldn't watch over again, because it was reasonably exciting, slightly scary, and a fair enough way to spend a couple hours, but still nothing that was so enjoyable that I'd want to watch it all over again right away.  This movie is available on Netflix, and since it came out this same year, you might be correct in assuming it wasn't particularly great.  Or, you might not, depending on how much you like the movie.  It's probably worth at least one viewing, if I had to guess.

That's all for tonight.  It's late, been kind of a long day (not in a bad way), and I'm not only getting sleepy, but I think all this horror might be getting to me.  Kind of feel like I am being watched, right now.  Damn creepy, considering it's after 1 am.  :-/  Probably not the first Peeping Tom I've had, but ew.  Just, ew.  Who the hell wants to see an overweight, slightly balding, middle-aged man undress?  Honestly, if you're looking for that, you're damned desperate, that's all I got to say.   Hmmm, desperate....   if it's female, that's my kinda woman!  heh  Catch you guys tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...