Thursday, February 23, 2012

Finder vs Person of Interest

So There's two shows on Thursday nights.

I know, most of you are out "pre-gaming" fridays on thursday nights. Me, I don't have a social life, so I have to content myself with TV. (hugs his TV) I know you'll never abandon me, buddy! (cable goes out) Well fuck you too!

Seriously, there's two shows on at the same time, on separate channels. Person of Interest is about an ex-special-ops soldier rescuing people who are "about" to be involved in a crime, whether they are victims or the perpetrators. He's aided in this endeavor by a man who built a machine that can predict acts of terrorism, but that's not what this show is about. The machine also predicts other violent acts, and that's where our two friends step in and save the victims or stop the perpetrators from committing the crimes.

Opposite it is "the Finder" about a guy who took an IED to the head in Iraq or something and now is slightly mentally unbalanced, by has a knack for finding things. He's aided in this by the largest actor I have ever seen, a gypsy girl with a penchant for thievery, and an FBI agent that is denying the crush she has on him.

Now here's my problem. I started watching Person of Interest because the other show hadn't premiered yet. Person of interest, while dramatic, doesn't have a lot of lightheartedness in it. Finder, while lighthearted, suddenly is about finding aliens (the show I am watching right now, anyway). Both shows are an hour long, so I don't get ten minutes of show followed by twenty minutes of commercials and then, the end. lol They are both on at the same time, so I can't really watch both, and I don't have DVR because I am poor enough to think DVR is an unnecessary expense and wise enough to realize I'd rarely use it anyway. So which show do I watch?

Let's take each show individually. First, Person of Interest. So let me see if I get this right. A guy... invents a machine... that can predict the future of terrorist events... and this show is about the castoffs that the machine DOESN'T focus on? Okay... why? I'm sorry, you have a premise as awesome as maybe one guy, or a team of guys, going in and slaughtering terrorists before they can do any damage, and you choose NOT to focus on that? Why?? lol Also, the guy who is trained to blow things up, kill people, does NOT kill anyone. Yep, that's right, he won't shoot to kill, only to wound or disarm. So he's like a modern-day Doctor Who who actually does use guns but won't kill anyone. Plus, a major premise of the show is that the government is watching everyone. They make a big deal about it, like UH OH BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING and I'm like... wtf? Doesn't everyone already know this? So the show is about a machine that can predict the future, but not about the big futures, about the little futures of anonymous people saved by a guy who uses a gun to not kill people. Yea...

So the other show is Finder, about a bar... fly? tender? i'm not really sure what his day job is. His night job is basically a detective, not a real one, but almost like a private detective living in a bar in florida. There's gypsies involved in a side story involving the gypsy girl who is basically a runaway under the guidance of the bar owner, who i believe is Michael Clarke Duncan? Anyway, so this guy basically finds anything or anyone that is lost, and won't give up until he finds it. The FBI chick is hot, the gypsy girl is cute, and the show just had peta wilson as a guest star! She basically played the finder's arch-nemesis, but he only just found out who she was, so whether she'll be back or not, I have no idea. The evil bad guys in this one are the corporations, and frankly, i have to go along on that one. The government at least has to pretend to care in order to get votes, the less a corporation cares about people, the more money it seems to make, sooooo I'm going to go with the evil corporations being the real bad guys.

I think I'm going to go with Finder on this one. Sure, person of Interest probably has the bigger budget, but the premise seems a little goofy, whereas Finder goes out of it's way to make things seem realistic. Although, one thing that does bug me is, these people hang out in a bar in florida all damn day... and NEVER DRINK. WTF!!!!!! :-o That's about as unrealistic as I can possibly imagine. I mean come on, I've been to florida, many times, and drinking is something I did all the time there! lol

In related news, I've got a cold. Yep. Another illness, definitely a cold this time. And it's not that I am getting old and decrepit... I mean.. I AM, but that's not why, I've been sick with just about everything my whole life. But I think all that is just negative advertising. I'm not sick! I'm simply, "hosting a viral convention in my body!" Yes, that's right, my own personal spin doctor has re-branded my inadequacies as strengths! HAH! I am now perfect. because, you know, i was before, but I was sick a lot, see, so now my sickness is not a weakness, it's a strength! That's the trick in going to job interviews. It's all about lying your ass off, I mean, uh, recalculating your net worth! I'm not "chubby," I'm surplus-nutritioned! I'm not "hairy, I'm "well-insulated!" Which is also good for explaining the flab, err, uh, the "efficient long-term caloric storage system that is so innate, I don't even have to think about it!" I'm a bloody genius! Best spin doctor ever! Shit, I could probably make up a resume of my actual daily activities and make it sound like I am more important than god!

Of course, there are only so many ways one can say, "plays computer games all day in his underwear" which is basically the gist of it. But what corporate human resources dork could ever figure that out? And honestly, even if they DID, that'd just be points in my favor! I can make playing computer games all day in my underwear sound like it's vital to the US economy! And it is! I pay for computer games that pay the people that make them, that keep the corporations in business that pay their employees that pay money for products that keep the monetary world a-turning! Holy crap I am so pumped! I AM THE RULER OF THE BUSINESS WORLD!!!!

Goddamn cold meds. Sneak up on me every time. One minute I feel like crap the next minute, I am higher than space aliens on soundwave-extracted human brain endorphins. Oy. I don't even know if that's possible but my brain just came up with a way to do it. Don't ever let someone tell you being a genius is easy. It's almost as hard as being a supermodel!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, and yes, brando, I know anonymous is you buddy! Good to know you're still around. I should really get back on yahoo or aim or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont bother with yahoo.....no one ever goes there anymore. I think the flying spaghetti monster is only here to check up on me (making sure my pirate costume is periodically correct). Is the chick from england hot??(just say yes even if you have no clue)

    ReplyDelete

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...