Monday, October 31, 2011

Last 3 Reviews and a Happy Halloween!

Tonight we have a Mummy triple feature! All from hammer studios, and if anyone knows me, they know I love Hammer studios! Sure, I could have reviewed some other movies, but I have strict rules. I have to have seen the movie relatively recently (the last day or two) to review it, and I won't review a movie before I've seen it. I spent today watching Killer Klowns from Outer Space (an excellent campy clown movie) and Mummy movies, and I THINK I reviewed Killer Klowns last October. Another of my rules is, I try real hard not to duplicate my reviews. Sure, I may mention the movie in another review, and say a few words about it, but I don't review it more than once. So it's Mummy movies tonight!

#29 - THE MUMMY! This is the original done by hammer studios, starring Christopher Lee as the Mummy, and Peter Cushing as one of the men who broke into the tomb. Well, technically, he didn't, because he had a bum leg at the time, but he was... nearby... I guess. Well, he didn't die at the end so technically the curse of the Mummy's tomb is still valid, since he didn't actually enter it, he should be exempt, right?

Three archaeologists find their way into this old mummy's tomb, a mummy by the name of Ananka. As the story goes, Ananka (a royal woman of some reknown) died of an illness, but she was loved by Karis, an egyptian high priest who possessed the Scroll of Life (a common theme in these movies). Karis broke the most sacred rules of her tomb to try and restore her to life using the Scroll, but was caught, and cursed to an eternity of undeath as a guardian of her tomb. So, when the archaeologists opened her tomb, and read the scroll, Karis was restored to life, and with the assistance of an Egyptian priest, goes about avenging the violation of her tomb.

This was an excellent movie, with outstanding actors, good plot, and excellent settings. Needless to say they tried to replicate it with several followup movies, the first of which is...

#30 - CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB! A rich guy funds an expedition to recover some egyptian artifacts, including a mummy. However, the mummy disappears on opening night, and several deaths follow.

I didn't find this movie particularly good, but it had the standard mummy themes, there's always a modern girl who resembles an ancient priestess or something, and there's always a the Scroll of Life. In this case, the words from the scroll are inscribed on an amulet, and the mummy is actually an ancient king this time, one of the sons of Ramses II. The other son actually makes an appearance as well, and again, there's a decent plot involved, and again, the girl reminds the mummy of someone he knows and again, the mummy refuses to kill her. None of the actors from the first movie come back except for the egyptian, which leads us to...

#31 - BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB! Each of these stories is almost completely different. The mummies are different people, the archaeologists are different, and the plot is completely different, but again, there's always the Scroll of Life, the modern girl who's a dead ringer for the ancient chick, and ... well in this case, the mummy IS the ancient chick.

A girl is approaching the age of 18, when she is given a ring by her father, an archaeologist. Shortly afterwards, he is struck down by an illness, and while he is unconscious, she begins to find out about the strange mummy he has in the basement. A living mummy, a woman thousands of years old, unchanged, looking as fresh as the day when her hand was cut off and the ruby ring was torn from her hand... a ruby ring the girl now wears!

This movie wasn't that great either, but there's a touch of nudity in it and according to the reviews on Netflix, the chick is really hot. I did find her attractive and the view from the rear was exceptional, but i did not find her such a raving beauty. In any case, a completely different plot this time, but the scroll of life was still there.

Well that's it! 31 movies seen and reviewed! Tomorrow begins the Christmas season, no doubt, with Thanksgiving coming up next month, and I may post less, but I'll try and keep everyone updated on what's going on with my job search, movies I've seen, games I've played (on a side note, don't get Stronghold 3, there's no skirmish mode, very lame), and hopefully, books I've written! I'm off to watch Trick R Treat, one of my personal traditions on Halloween night. Oh, and I have company I should try to socialize with for a few minutes, I suppose.

Happy Halloween everyone! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...