Sunday, June 26, 2011

Movie Review - Inception

So I finally saw Inception.

Supposedly, everyone liked it. I don't see why. One it stars Leonardo Dicrapio or whatever his name is. Sure, he's a big star and is in a lot of movies nowadays. I'm not really sure why. He reminds me of Shia Laboof, honestly. It's like every movie he is in is just another Leonardo movie. See, here's what I am saying, you get a good actor, and the first thing you think of when you think of the movie they are in is the character's name. So you're watching a good movie with a good actor, and if you recognize the actor, you say something like this to yourself: "Oh, I know that actor, he played Tom Sawyer in that movie last week, what was his name?" See, the good actor immerses himself so much in his role, you have a tough time remembering what the actual name of the actor is. Now, a bad actor, you say "Oh, Leonardo." or "oh it's Shia labeouaf." You don't rememebr their character's name because the actual characters they play ALL ACT THE SAME... just like the actor. So you never associate those actors with good roles, you just know them by their famous names. Even a guy like Jack Nicholson, who is instantly recognizable in any role he plays because he pretty much does the same thing, is a better actor because you think, "Oh jack nicholson, he played the guy in "The Shining" or "that military guy in that law movie with tom cruise," or the "The Wolf." Sure, if you remember the character's names, fine, but they are all great character roles.

Now, you add Leo to an already goofy film. One, you're never sure if anything on the screen is actually happening or is just a dream. I hate movies like that. What's the point of watching them? Did anything happen? I have my own dream sequences to try and ignore, I don't need someone else's dreams to confuse me, and this one does. Now it's not like I didn't understand the story, I get it. You go into a dream to gather info, or deeper into the dream to get into deeper levels of unconsciousness. Fine. But then they say they are going 3 dreams deep, and they actually go 4, by my count, and apparently, if anyone ELSE goes that deep into a dream, they'll get all lost and crazy and shit, but LEO can do it, because he's special. Yea, he's "special" all right.

The only nearly exciting part of the movie was when they were all trying to get "kicked" back into reality at the same time, and that just got confusing because they were flipping back and forth from scene to scene so much I had no idea what was going on other than, shit was going wrong all at once. As shit often does. The musical score was nice, all "OOOOH EXCITING SHIT HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!" and all, but that was about it. I didn't really care about any of the characters and the only interesting actor/actress was the cute young girl playing the "architect" (not quite the same as the one in the matrix but close) and they never developed any possible romantic liaisons with her or any of the other characters, so I'm left wondering if anything of importance happened at all, and whether i cared or not. Like the entire movie was an episode of Seinfeld. Whether Leo got back to his nameless/faceless kids, I didn't really give a damn about. And honestly, since their father was an international fugitive (also a sedative addict and international thought-thief, and that's just to start with), does anyone care if Leo got back to his perfectly healthy kids? I'm SURE they'd be better off without him at this point. Also, didn't he literally cause his own wife's suicide by messing around with her subconscious?

If the end of the movie is any indication, it's entirely possible he's still stuck in some dream-state somewhere, making him a human vegetable in the real world. I rather like that ending to the movie. Actually showing Leo all vegged out, drooling on himself in some hospital bed somewhere, would have been a good ending. Perhaps with his perfectly healthy wife taking care of his kids, or even Michael Caine taking care of them, saying something like "He was never the same after his wife's suicide." If she ever actually died or not.

Personally, through the whole movie, I was thinking the flipside was actually true, that Leo WAS a veg, and his wife was actually by his bedside, trying to bring him back to reality, and that's why she was so ever-present in his dreams. So maybe that's still the case? Who knows. I had the chance to watch it again, but I switched off to watch an old godzilla movie i'd seen a thousand times, so obviously it failed the rewatchability test.

All in all, don't bother watching it if you haven't yet. Waste of time.

UNEMPLOYMENT UPDATE: Still looking. Getting some phone interviews off of my monster.com resume, but there's literally nothing in the newspapers anymore for IT jobs. Nursing and auto mechanics, sure. Computer jobs? Fuggedaboutit.

1 comment:

  1. kinda how i see kevin costner.... he plays the same charector in every role

    "brando"

    ReplyDelete

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...