Sunday, October 17, 2010

October 17 - Dog Soldiers

Again, this movie surprised me, for I first saw it on SyFy channel. Another werewolf movie, but this one is done exceptionally well in my opinion. At the time I had no idea who any of the actors were, and it looks like it was filmed entirely in england with all british actors. Well, some are scottish, but still, almost the same area.

Like many monster movies, this one showcases the monsters right off, but you can't really tell what they are at first. Mr and Mrs "Deadmeat" are camping in the woods in scotland (why does everyone who goes camping always die? I didn't realize camping was that dangerous), when something unzips their tent, yanks Mrs deadmeat halfway out before Mr Deadmeat can grab hold of her, and while Mr Deadmeat tries to keep her in the tent, Mrs Deadmeat is ripped or bitten in half. At the splash of blood, Mr Deadmeat lets go, Mrs Deadmeat is yanked out, and Mr Deadmeat is left to face whatever it is alone, but he's not alone for long...

Four weeks later, a team of soldiers is dropped into scotland on a training exercise. They're packing blanks, and worried about the latest soccer scores. While proceeding along the basic tenets of the training exercise, they discover a wrecked military camp. There's equipment, blood and guts everywhere, but no bodies. Searching through the wreckage, they discover a lone survivor, the commander of a team of special ops soldiers. He's badly wounded, and while they are trying to patch him up, he keeps screaming "There was only supposed to be ONE!"

What follows is a long, running battle while the team of soldiers attempts to escape the area while the beasts hunt them down. This movie has TONS of atmosphere. Everything is filmed in the deep woods of scotland, or at least it seems like it is. The rain, the wet, the damp, the darkness, it's all there. This movie makes you feel like you are just as cranky as the soldiers, and then when the mayhem begins, you feel just as scared. Music is absolutely minimal, only serving to highlight the action. I barely noticed it most of the time.

This movie certainly passes what I call the "rewatchability" test. I saw it on SciFi channel years back, I watched it again on a recent camping trip, and it's just as bloody exciting the third time around. I even liked it enough to order it on DVD, which is how I saw it today. Which is pretty good considering I had already seen the movie before I ordered it.

Another good thing about this movie is, it doesn't try to explain anything. It gives you enough of a reason why everyone is there, but it doesn't try to go into how the werewolves came about, or anything like that. It really slows things down when movies try to come up with alternate explanations about how werewolves or some other such monsters came to be, and when movies try to get too much into dialog like that it tends to ruin things.

No nudity in this movie, but the one female does tend to wander about in a flimsy t shirt at one point, and I saw nipplage! Ah, reminds me of the days back when I was watching Charmed and I swear they had the temperature turned WAY down on the set while they were filming because those ladies did nothing but wander around in tight sweaters with pointy nipples poking out. Oh well, good movie nonetheless. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...