Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Whiteout and True Blood

I was in a whiteout a few times. The most recent of which, I was on my way to work, in a wooded residential area near a few mini-malls, while the snow was getting heavier and heavier. I started following the taillights of the car in front of me, and when I hit the intersection of the main roads, there was nothing there. Let me rephrase. I saw the stop light at the intersection. It was red. There was a city bus stopped in front of us. Waiting for the light to change. Two cars were stopped on the left hand side of the intersection. They weren't moving, either. Aside from the intersection and the bus and cars, I saw nothing else. it was all white. There were two malls next to us, at least, there were supposed to be, but you couldn't see them. The light turned green in front of us, and the car I was following turned to the right, and stopped dead in front of me. I looked over the top of that car, and saw why. There was nothing. Absolutely nothing but white in front of him. He turned on his blinkers and we sat there for a while...

Whiteout, unlike my not-so-harrowing encounter with blizzard conditions, is an honest to god murder mystery. I know, I don't usually watch those kinds of movies, but to be perfectly honest, I had no idea there were no monsters in it, so I watched the movie with the expectation that any moment, aliens would attack. So, yes, I watched it til the end.

It was quite a decent movie, actually. Minus the monsters and boobies and kung fu and such, since there wasn't any of that in the whole movie. It opens with a bunch of WWII-era russians flying over the south pole, and there's a couple pilots and a few guards in the back, keeping an eye on a locked box. One of the pilots decides he wants the lockbox, tries to take out the guards, fails, and the remaining pilot gets hit by a stray round, resulting in a cataclysmic plane crash.

So the story follows what happens when the plane is discovered some years later. It has a rather cute marshall in it, a very old looking Tom Skerritt, and you know, some other people. Honestly, the cast was ridiculously small, and was mainly carried by the actress playing the marshall and the doctor, played by tom skerritt. I don't want to give away anything here, but I saw the killer coming a mile away. Not sure if that's because I am reasonably intelligent, or just because I think like a writer, because I can usually figure out plot twists long before the twist occurs. Either way, it didn't detract from the movie at all, it was still surprisingly good.

Plus, it's good to see Tom Skerritt working again. I don't know where he's been since he was popular in a string of 80s movies, I think he almost became A-list or was A-list back then, but maybe he's been hanging out on lifetime or Oxygen or something since then. Anyway, his acting talents don't seem to have diminished any, so hopefully his turn in Whiteout will get him back in the game.

I would definitely recommended Whiteout to anyone. There's no boobies or aliens, but for a "normal" movie, it's strikingly awesome. And, you know, there's lots of whiteouts in it, which are cool anyway.

True Blood, on the other hand, is edging towards suckitude. I mean, I'm not really sure where else they might have gone with the third season and all, but I was sorely disappointed by them using real wolves instead of wolfmen to start with, and things are only getting worse form there. I can't count how many movies show this great war between werewolves and vampires and then you go and have a piddling little vampire rip through a pack of werewolves like they were less resilient than humans. And honestly, if they are that easy to dispatch... why would humans have any trouble with them? Bleh. Aside from this glaring error on their part, at least in my opinion, I'm not sure where this season is going so far. Maybe some sort of vampire political strife, which bores me, and they are trying to show several different and unconnected stories at once... I mean you have Jessica trying to survive on her own, Sam's search for his family, Sookie's problems with the werewolves and tied in but separate, bill's problems with them as well. Plus all the other totally unrelated stories going on.

Oh and here's another thing, vampires are supposed to have to ask before entering another's house but, a strange vampire just casually strolls into bill's home during the second episode... I realize bill is dead now, but he IS the actual owner... so what gives? I think they are contradicting themselves already, unless i missed something, which I guess is entirely possible. Eh. We'll see how things go. I'm eagerly awaiting Happy Town tomorrow night, as well. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...