Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Terminator Salvation

I managed to see Terminator Salvation over the weekend.

It actually wasn't bad, I mean, the acting wasn't, well, there wasn't really any acting, really, except for, what's that actor's name, he played the resistance sub commander, I had to check his name on IMDB.com but it's Michael Ironside. Awesome character actor. Anyway, he acted, and there was some acting being done by the chick... I am such a sexist pig, but it's not because I don't appreciate her talent as an actress, I just can't remember her name, so "chick" will have to do, and I am too lazy to go to imdb.com a second time today. Anyway, the chick emoted rather well, I thought. This movie was more about special effects than acting, anyway.

So the movie starts with this guy facing execution in nowdays' time, and he signs over some form to Helena Bonham Carter (the actress's name, not the character's) apparently releasing his body to science fiction, because at that point, it's like 30 years year, judgement day has happened, and John Connor is busy fighting off the enemies of humanity, Skynet, terminators, and whoever else gets in his way. Those of you familiar with the story in the original Terminator movie need not fear, this movie is pretty well tied in with the original story.

So John Connor pops into this Skynet radar base to tap into the computers and get data on the next step in the war against the machines, basically the character that Arnold Schwarzenegger played in the 1984 movie, the T-800 series of terminators. And they get what they need and old Johnny boy goes topside to find out why the communications link went dead and finds everyone they flew in with is dead. Then he goes tearing off after the ship that did it, gets blown out of the sky as the base he was just in and the squad he was with gets blowed up, and then a few hours later, the convict in the opening sequence of the film goes crawling out of the hole the radar base has become. How he managed to survive the explosion that knocked Connor's chopper out of the sky, I have no bloody idea. I mean, you kind of find out later on how, sort of, but it doesn't explain why he doesn't even have a scratch on him.

Anyway, old Johnny boy and his friends spend the next hour of the movie trying to find out where the bloody hell Kyle Reese is. Apparently, john connor and kyle reese haven't met up yet, and though Johnny knows kyle is his dad, kyle is still like, 15 or something. I never liked time traveling stories, they always make mistakes and then leave me confused. As you may infer from that, I am not a big fan of Lost, nor have I ever actually watched the show. So essentially, this movie is about Jon connor meeting up with Kyle reese, and starting the fight against the t-800 series. The war against skynet has been going on for a while apparently.

As I mentioned, the acting wasn't really that good, I mean, Christian Bale may be a paid actor, but I mean, I do tech support and I get paid for it, and I guess he gets paid for what he does too, and yes, we are both professionals, but I think I show more emotion doing tech support than he does in his films. Eh well, who the fuck am I to say the guy's a horrible john connor.

I mean, how do you fill john conor's shoes, anyway? He's the hero of the goddamn war, he's the guy that not only kicks machine ass, but he leads the entire SPECIES of humanity back from the brink of slavery and death at the hands of skynet and destroys a world-controlling machine at the same time? That's some serious shit there, and I don't know if any actor could really do a good job with fleshing out the character while being an honest to god ass kicking hero of humanity, but I think Christian Bale was a poor choice. They should have got daniel craig. LMAO

I did manage to catch it again last night though. Aside from the lack of acting, the movie was definitely chock full of action, explosions, fighting, shooting and terminating. I'd get a bowl of popcorn and watch it again too, if I had to. So if you're looking for a chick flick, this ain't it. If you're looking for 2010, a space odyssey, this ain't it. I mean, shit, this isn't even demolition man, that manages to show a decent story WHILE kicking ass. But, it's a futuristic action movie, and if it was aspiring to be something more, if failed miserably. It's nothing less, though, and I didn't mind wasting the two hours to watch it.

Yea, this one's pretty short, but I was bored at work and needed something to do. I heard Rutgar Hauer is going to star in a movie about a vengeful hobo with a shotgun. I don't know when this movie is coming out, but it reminds me of the Blind Vengeance movie he did back in the.. 90's maybe? He played a vietnam vet who had been blinded in the war, then taught how to use a sword AFTER that by friendly vietnamese villagers. Who, by some strange coincidence, were kick-ass samurai warriors when it came to sword-wielding, apparently.

So, I guess the 2010's are going to be known as the decade where all the old 80's action movies got their chance to shine again, and I couldn't be fucking happier about it, as long as they don't make all remakes, and star some of the old, falling apart badasses that made the original films. Conan 3, anyone? Die hard... 7? 12? lol I'M ALL FOR IT BABY! GIMME POPCORN AND EXPLOSIONS OR GIVE ME DEEAAATTHHHH!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...