Tuesday, October 1, 2019

October Horror Movie Review-A-Thon 2019 Begins!

You know all those clever plans that you have, and you think, oh, I'll have plenty of time to get this done before that hapens, and then something else happens, and you get all caught up in that, and then, before you know it, the other thing has happened and you've run out of time?  Well, it wasn't like I didn't know OHMRAT was coming, right?  So I started watching horror flicks last night, thinking, "Okay, I should have plenty of time to find something new and review it for the blog."  So today I get up, started watching a movie I had DVR'd, and then... POOF!  Shit happens and it's like 30 minutes before midnight on October 1st and I still haven't written a blog post for the day!  I know, I had ONE JOB, and I fucked it up!  :-(  So, let's open OHMRAT 2019 with Hocus Pocus, which I just watched with my mom, because she's like 1,000 years old and she loves Bette Midler.

Hocus Pocus (1993) starts off as a classic fish-out-of-water story, and ends with a halloween twist.  This high-school kid named Max moves with his family from California to some New England town where the three Sanderson Sisters (deceased witches and local legends, played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy) form the core of the local halloween folklore in the area.  Max is trying to hook up with the local high-school beauty, but he's hampered in his efforts by his tag-along little sister (played by a young Thora Birch).  So Halloween night comes along and of course, Max gets stuck babysitting for the evening.  So he takes little sis out trick or treating, runs into miss-high-school beauty, and accidentally lights a black flame candle that awakens the three sanderson sisters after 300 years and unleashes them on the town for Halloween night!  Oh, man, if I had a dollar for every time that has happened to me, I'd be...  uh...  very poor.

Hocus Pocus is a Halloween classic at this point, and despite the fact that it's more aimed at kids than adults, you can't really get through the holiday season without running across it at least once or twice.  I caught it on Freeform tonight, which is doing their 31 days of horror again (along with every other decent channel out there, come on people get with the program, it's Halloween horror month, ffs), so you can probably watch it there if you want to.  There's a couple musical numbers (not my favorite thing in a movie but the tunes are catchy), and the veteran actors do a fair job of making things creepy, in addition to the overall feel of the chaos and hijinks and tomfoolery that goes on most halloween nights.  Special effects are okay for the time, but honestly, this is just one of those decent, entertaining, mildly-atmospheric Halloween movies you watch just to pass a few hours, and it certainly passes the re-watchability test.  It's been around since 1993 and it's not going away, so if you haven't seen it yet, just surrender to the Freeform-Borg Overlords and go watch it.  Resistance is futile.

That's all for tonight, and I actually want to post this before midnight, so hopefully I will get my shit together by tomorrow and do a better job then!  Ah, who am I kidding?  Anyone who's been following my blog knows I'm a completely out-of-control dumpster fire that stinks like flaming cabbage, and you guys just come here to watch and laugh.  Strangely, I'm okay with that.  See you tomorrow, assuming I don't fall down a flight of stairs and break something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...