Wednesday, October 17, 2018

#13 + #14: You Might Be The Killer, No Escape Room

Continuing a series of crappy horror movies playing on SyFy channel every weekend this month (along with mummy movies and a few horror classics playing on Turner Classic Movies), we have a double feature tonight, while I try and catch up to where I am supposd to be with my reviews this month.  Tonight we have No Escape Room (2018) and You Might Be The Killer (2018).

No Escape Room (2018) starts with a simple enough premise.  A clueless father is spending time with his teenage daughter after a divorce, and the only thing the two can think to do together is to visit a nearby Escape Room while visiting a random town.  The only problem is, other folks have apparently gone missing from that location...  or have they?

No Escape Room was unusually long and ridiculously dumb.  I didn't recognize any of the actors, and the teen daughter escapes to the attic and then spends an unusual amount of time laying on a pallet in the dark for some unknown reason.  I don't think there's any conceivable plot in this, something about an inventor who does weird things with locks or some crap.  Honestly, I found it hard to follow and needlessly convoluted.  I suppose that's the theory behind Escape Rooms in general, to make them difficult to get out of, and that's pretty much why I have never gone to one, myself.  That, and I have no friends.  But my point is, I think they're dumb, but hey, what do I know?  Anyway, I think this movie sucked, but if you want to watch it, try SyFy.

You Might Be The Killer (2018) is a tale about a counselor at a summer camp, who awakes to find himself covered in blood, and with the bodies of his fellow counselors laying all around him.  Running to a nearby shed, the counselor decides to phone a friend, probably because he ran out of his audience help lines and 50/50's.  Thankfully, the counselor's helpful friend is an expert in horror movies, and tries to talk him through it over the phone, like Tech Support for horror flicks.

The title of this movie pretty much gives away the plot, and you find out the blood-covered counselor is actually the killer about 15 minutes into the movie.  Then we go through a lot of flashbacks to find out why and how he killed all the other counselors, which pretty much takes up most of the movie.  Fun things to watch for in this movie are the main character, Sam (played by Fran Kranz), and Chuck, Sam's phone-a-friend (played by Alyson Hannigan, of Buffy and How I Met Your Mother fame).  Other than the interesting point of view and the appearance of Alyson Hannigan, who lends this movie a touch of class, this is your basic camp-slasher flick.  The flashbacks get a little annoying, and sometimes confusing, which tended to drag the whole thing down.  Still not a horrible watch, so check SyFy if you want to see it.

Okay, that's two more movies down, bunches more to go!  I'll be back sooner or later to review a bunch more movies.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...