Friday, October 12, 2018

#10 - Apostle (2018)

Just one review tonight, as I just don't have the time for two, and I guess I should be on #12, so I am two days behind.  Looks like a busy weekend watching horror movies for me!  Damn!  Well if someone's got to do it, I guess I'll take one for the team.  Tonight's movie is Apostle, which just came on Netflix today, so for once I am on the bleeding edge of the review scene.

Apostle (2018) is about a man named Thomas that many thought dead, who finds out his sister has been abducted by a secret cult, and is being held for ransom.  The ransom is asked of Thomas's father, who has sadly lost his wits, and cannot pay.  Thomas and his father had no love for each other, but he has always loved his sister.  Now, Thomas's sister is going to be killed unless he can find some way to reach the secret cult and free her, before they grow weary of waiting for the money to come.

I read something somewhere that Netflix said this movie was about a horror movie that could still be scary without a slasher or monsters or whatever.  Honestly, I can't recall the quote exactly, but this non-slasher horror flick is definitely a slow starter.  Pretty much nothing happens up til the end, and then all hell breaks loose, which is always fun.  But, definitely a slow starter.  Acting is okay, they had that guy from Legion as the main protagonist, and the supporting cast was mostly good.  Scenery was excellent.  Effects were pretty good.  I don't think I'd watch it again, and for a horror movie, it wasn't scary, but there's almost a monster in it, so?  Meh.  Anyways, worth a watch, sort of a different take on things, more like Euro-horror than American horror, if you like that sort of thing.  I do, so, it wasn't bad.  Again, very slow starter.  I'm not sure it was worth the two hours of build-up, but, Netflix probably spent a lot of money on it, so who am I to tell them it was boring for the first hour and a half, eh?  Right, I'm nobody!  I'll be the first to agree with that.

In other news, it's cold here now.  I think we barely hit 50 today and it was 84 on tuesday.  So I'm probably going to get another cold.  Wheeee, sickness!  Hope everyone out there is staying healthy and enjoying the fall season.  :-)  Catch you guys soon for more reviews.  Still need to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...