Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Horrorthon Review #28 - The Ninth Gate (1999)

I know, I talk about this movie a lot, but that's only because I like it so much.  But I did check my blog from last year, and I didn't review it then.  I chose it this year because, sadly, Netflix is pulling it from the instant streaming lineup at the end of this week.  So, if you want to watch this movie on Netflix, you have til Halloween.  :-/

The Ninth Gate (1999) is probably the only time you'll ever see Johnny Depp without a weird looking wig or a funny hat and costume on.  This movie begins with the death of a book-owner, and the sale of his book to a rather malicious collector of, shall we say, books of a certain devilish nature.  Enter Corso (Johnny Depp), a mercenary acquirer of rare books, with rather loose morals.  Corso is only in it for the money, and his greed leads him to work with the lowest underbelly of the literary world.  However, his skill at acquiring rare books brings him to the attention of one Boris Balkan (Frank Langella), who has just acquired a copy of the 'Nine Gates' (there's more to the title that I forget), by Aristide de Torchia, a celebrated devil-worshipper who was burned at the stake in 1667, a year after he wrote the book.  According to legend, Aristide de Torchia acquired a book written directly by Lucifer himself, and with Lucifer's assistance, interpreted the book into his own work, the Nine Gates.  According to legend, the book is designed to summon Satan himself.  Boris Balkan hires Corso because, as he puts it, there is something 'wrong' with his recently acquired copy of the book.  Corso is offered a great deal of money to take the case, and investigate the authenticity of not only Balkan's copy of the Nine Gates, but the other two surviving copies, as well...

Come on say it with me!  "And then... ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!"  :-D  Because...  the book is designed to summon the devil... geddit?  All hell tends to break loose a lot in horror movies, you ever notice that?  Well, I have.

Right.  Well, I really liked this movie for several reasons.  One, Johnny Depp isn't totally over-acting in this movie, like he is in most of his movies.  He's just your average, geeky agent who deals in rather shadily-acquired rare books.  Two, Frank Langella is an awesome actor who DOES totally overact in this movie.  He plays a great bad guy, and he does it with gusto.  Lena Olin also has a role as a bad girl, as it were, and she even has a nude scene, which really should have garnered her an Oscar for this performance, but it was a very short nude scene, in my opinion.  Emanuelle Seigner (who I have never heard of, before or since) plays an extremely mysterious girl who seems to shadow Corso in his travels.  Everyone seemed to do a good job acting in this movie, and the effects are minimal but used to good effect.

I call this one a "thinking man's horror movie," mostly because it's more of a slow build, there's a lot of atmosphere, suspense, and general tension, and you really have to know what's going on to appreciate the horror.  There's only a few bodies, very little gunplay, and a little violence.  One of the reviewers on Netflix mentioned something about some jewish mysticism involved in the engravings pictured in the Nine Gates, but you don't need to know that to understand the movie.  There's some brief nudity in a couple places, and well, let's face it, the book they're trying to piece together is designed to summon the devil.  Sure, along the way, it's more of a mystery, basically a detective story with Corso playing the part of the investigator, but there's satanic cults, mysterious assassins, and any magic or witchery involved is all very discrete and disguised.

Just in case you have trouble figuring it out (and I'm not underestimating my audience, I am sure all of you guys can follow the movie, but just in case you have to pee during an important part), I'm going to simplify the end of the movie for you.  Spoilers to follow.  Each of the images in the engraving of the book are scenes that Corso himself runs across.  The hanged man, etc.  Balkan may have set Corso on the task, but it was Corso who walked the path, uncovered the deception, and figured out the key, and when Balkan takes credit for Corso's work, and assumes that he alone is the one to reach the ultimate goal, just because he has all the engravings, he soon finds out he's sadly mistaken.  As it turns out, the story itself, the journey Corso has taken, decides his fate, and Balkan never walked that path, so he can't share Corso's ultimate fate.  End spoilers, and really, I was so vague about it, that you shouldn't be able to figure out the ending from that.  But, if you've watched the end, it should all make sense for you.

I guess what the movie is trying to say is, we each choose our own fate by the path we walk, by the decisions we make.  The little decisions, the ones we make every day, and how we live our lives, that's what decides our fate.  I personally agree with that assessment.  For some of us, taking a long look at what we are, and the decisions we've made, is too much of a horror story as it is.  I can't really blame those people for not looking too closely at their own lives.  :-/

Well, aren't I just the creepy philosopher tonight?  heh  As usual, I am a tad late with my review this evening.  I had stuff to do.  It happens.  Only a few more days!  Might even get a couple new movies in there before the end.  For those who care, the peanuts Halloween special is on thursday night at 8 pm, not sure what channel.  I watch it every year.  The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!  I've been a fan of Snoopy for years.  Coolest dog, ever.  Also, AMC is doing Halloween marathons.  All the Halloween movies, One through 4 or 5, I guess.  Even 3!  Yes, even three.  Season of the Witch, indeed.

Hope everyone is having a Happy Halloween season.  :-)  Catch you guys tomorrow night for more horror!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...