Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Horror Movie Review #29 - The Evil Dead (1981)

Way back when I was still getting beaten up by girls, Sam Raimi was writing, producing and filming amateur movies with his college buddy, Bruce Campbell.  One of these turned out to be pretty good, and pretty much launched his career, Bruce Campbell's career, and didn't hurt the rest of the cast any, either, I am sure.

The Evil Dead (1981) stars Bruce Campbell as Ashley "Ash" Williams, who's heading with his friends up to a remote cabin in the mountains to have some fun.  Along with him are his girlfriend, his sister, and his buddy and his girlfriend.  Upon reaching the cabin, the group pretty much ignores the decrepit state of the place, the weird goings on, and proceeds to try and have dinner, when they discover an old tape recording machine and an odd book.  Heedless of the warnings of the more religious person among them, they play the recording back of the translation of the book, and raise ancient sumerian demons from the dead, and then...  yep, you guessed it.  All hell breaks loose.  :-D

As we all know from my review of the Ghostbusters a few nights ago, ancient Sumerian demons are nothing to sneeze at.  I'm not really sure if the entire mythological pantheon of Ancient Sumer were all violent, bloodthirsty demons, or if the tales of the demons were all that's survived to the present day, but they sure make for some grisly movies.  Makes me wonder how Sumer survived as long as it did if they were constantly sacrificing their populace to feed the demons.  Hmmmm.

The Evil Dead was Sam Raimi's first big break into the movie scene.  A cult classic nowadays, I've been a fan of the Evil Dead movie since I first saw it.  Of course, I'd actually seen Evil Dead 2 first, and then had to backtrack, because Evil Dead 2 is essentially a remake of The Evil Dead.  Does that mean Sam Raimi inspired Hollywood remakes?  Who knows.  I liked Evil Dead 2 more than The Evil Dead, but that doesn't mean the Evil Dead isn't a good movie itself.  Bruce Campbell stars in both movies, and there's hilarious and scary scenes in both, as well, so either one is a good watch, really.

Hey!  Movie news!  They've announced Army of Darkness 2!  :-D  Army of Darkness would be the sequel to Evil Dead 2, for those of us who've seen it.  I think I have it on DVD, honestly.  I'd have to check my collection.  Can't wait for that, but it says 2016 on the release date.  Cripes!

That's it for tonight, people!  I'm off to drown myself in Minecraftian zombie fighting.  Two more days til Halloween!  W00t!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...