Wednesday, October 26, 2011

#20 and #21 - Wednesday Night Double Feature!

Anyone who has been following my blog knows that Wednesday nights are double feature nights during the month of October!

Actually I just made that up. If it has happened that way, it's been kind of a coincidence.

Tonight's first review is NIGHT OF THE DEMONS! Now this movie is sort of a remake of the one back in the 1980's starring Linnea Quigley, who was HUGE in horror movies at the time, b horror movies, I should say. She was in Return of the Living Dead! Cult classic if i ever saw one, and one of my favorite movies of all time. If Jamie Lee Curtis was the A movie Scream queen, then Linnea quigley was the B Movie scream queen. And I'm not making this up, it was an actual headline of an article I read back in the 80's. lol Linnea Quigley even has a cameo appearance in this remake, playing a slutty-looking candy-giver, and if you've ever seen Linnea Quigley, you know that's pretty much her trademark.

The rest of the cast... Well, I've never seen them before in my life. Honestly you'd think some of these teen actors and actresses would be in more than one movie so I knew who they were, but nooooooooo, one movie and suddenly they think of themselves as stars... please! Until I am comparing you to Jamie Lee Curtis in my blog, you aren't famous!

In any case, pretty much the same thing happens in this movie as in the first one. A Halloween party at a spooky old haunted house ends up awakening Demons who then proceed to possess, mutilate and kill in the grisliest ways possible. There was a fair amount of nudity in the first one, and there's even a bit of girl on girl action in this one, but otherwise the two movies are pretty damn similar. If you like demons, possession, gore, boobs, and good music, this is a good movie for you. Honestly, the first movie was a lot scarier. I'm not really sure why. I haven't seen the old one in ages, but this one just seemed rather rushed by comparison. Hmmm. Maybe I am being unfair, I think they were both pretty much B movie horror, but maybe Linnea Quigley was just a better actress? (shrugs) I also think the first movie spent a little more time with backstory and explaining things? Eh who knows. I need to watch it again and compare.

THE BURNING is the second review of the night. I thought I had seen every 80's slasher pic there was, and then i saw this little gem in the netflix lineup, and i was like WHAT! An 80's slasher pic I haven't seen? IT CANNOT BE! And, as it turns out, i was right, because I had seen it before, I just didn't recognize it at first glance.

A bunch of summer-campers decide they've had enough of the local drunken, belligerent caretaker, so they play a practical joke on him. A joke that ends in tragedy as the caretaker is horribly burned. Five years later, the caretaker is released from the hospital, only to seek vengeance on the nearest group of summer-camp counselors he can find!

This movie had tons of young soon-to-be stars in it. Jason Alexander, Holly Hunter, Fisher Stevens, and even a couple lesser known stars from the 80's. I was honestly shocked at the number of people I recognized, and even more shocked as I read the closing credits at the end of the movie, and saw that it was filmed entirely on location in Western New York! Where I live! :-o

I wondered why the background shots looked so great, and why the foliage seemed so familiar.

Yea, the reviews are kind of short tonight, but the movies aren't that outstanding. The night of the Demons remake was shot in 2010 or something, and the Burning was done way back in 1981, but both are solid B-movie horror flicks. If you want to see Holly Hunter as a teen, Fisher Stevens as the skinniest geek I've ever seen, and Jason Alexander when he still had a shot at getting a date, watch the Burning. Otherwise, nothing scary to see here! Move along!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...