Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October 20 - Xtro

You may not have heard of Xtro. It's an older movie, and was a bit of a B-movie besides. I had some extra time tonight, so I thought about reviewing Resident Evil instead, but it wouldn't really be fair because I wasn't able to watch it in it's entirety tonight. Oh well, perhaps another night.

A young boy and his father are playing catch with the family dog in the english countryside at the beginning of Xtro. I'm not really sure where they came up with the title for this movie, but a light in the sky comes and takes the father. A year or two later, a meteoer strikes the countryside out near the place, and something crawls forth from the wreckage...

Meanwhile, the boy and his mother have moved on. The boy told his mother the father was taken, but the mother simply believes the father has run out on them, because again, who believes a child when they say such things? And they say children are honest. HAH! The mother has a new lover, and there's a nanny, played by Maryam D'Abo (who eventually became a bond girl), in one of her first roles. Let me just take a moment to say Maryam is pretty hot in this movie, and there's nude scenes. :-D

The mother arrives at school to pick up her son, and finds out the boy's father has reappeared out of nowhere and collected him. In a panic, she rushes home but finds him there quietly playing with their son Tony. Apparently, the father has no memory of where he's been, and the mom offers to put him up for the night, despite the objections of her new lover. There's a little tension between them all, and that's even before they find out there's been a series of murders leading from their country home to their city apartment...

AND THEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!!! :-o

Yea, I'm not particularly impressed by this movie. Sure, technically it meets all my requirements, monsters, nudity, etc., but it really wasn't that great of a movie. There's a few interesting scenes, and again, the nude scenes are nice, but the majority of the movie is toys possessed by some alien senteience running about and killing folks. There's a bunch of weird, alien sort of things going on, and there's no explanation of why they do them or what happens with them or anything, plus everything that occurs happens in a sort of weird, disjointed sequence of events. It'd almost make sense to think the boy was actually fevered and what you are seeing is his nightmares, but it's even stranger than that. Plus, they kill off poor Maryam rather early after only a couple nude scenes and that's hardly a good way to show off her acting, errr, "talents." I ordered it on DVD since I remembered seeing it from my youth, but I can't really say it is worth seeing more than once or twice.

There were a few sequels, but if I remember correctly, they had nothing to do with these initial events and had a different premise entirely, so I'm not really sure why they were called Xtro 2 and 3, or whatever. I was also tempted to review Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem, but, theorhetically, that's more of a sci fi movie than a horror, so I'm not sure if it really is appropriate for a horror movie review. :-( But hey, the weekend's coming! More horror movies on more channels. Heading into the home stretch! I'm sure I'll have more things on TV to review, and I'm saving special movies for Halloween weekend! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...