Monday, October 19, 2020

19 - Horror of Dracula (1958)

This year is definitely a time for comforting things.  Old horror movies give me comfort.  I been watching them all month just to make myself feel better in these dark times, to recall a period before this, when all I had to be afraid of was some creepy movie on TV.  Ah, to be so young and foolish again.

Horror of Dracula (1958) is the classic tale about Johnathan Harker, who goes to visit Dracula's castle under the guise of cataloguing his library.  Harker is secretly there to kill Count Dracula, but decides to help a poor girl that Dracula has kept in his castle.  Sadly, Harker learns too late that the girl is a vampiress, and is bitten.  Dracula saves him, only to have Harker try and save himself by killing Dracula.  Harker must choose between killing Dracula and killing the vampiress, and chooses unwisely.  Harker kills the girl, but Dracula escapes.  And then, Van Helsing must come to finish the job.

I saw this movie on Turner Classic Movies, where they've been showing a lot of old horror movies this month.  Peter Cushing is Van Helsing, and Christopher Lee is Count Dracula.  Cushing and Lee made a lot of antagonistic horror films with the Hammer movie studios int he 50s and 60s, but they were good friends in real life.  Acting was excellent, effects are dated now but were good for the time, and are relatively minimal.  Certainly no bad CGI to deal with here.  Story is good, and the ending is superb.  I highly recommend it, as much as I recommend watching Christine, the movie I reviewed last night, and forgot to mention that I recommended.  :-)  Yeah, been crazy busy.  Life and all.

In other news, I got games to play and horror to watch!  Catch you guys next time! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...