Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Review #3: Cursed

I love Werewolf movies.  There's just something about the long, lonely howling of a wolf that signifies that someone is about to get torn apart by werewolves.  Or, maybe I've been watching too many horror movies.  Yeah, that's probably it.  Did I ever tell you about the time I was practicing wolf-howling when I was a kid, and all the dogs in the neighborhood started barking?  Oh, I did?  Yeah.  Good times.

Cursed (2005) is a story about a brother and sister who are just trying to live thier normal, boring little lives out in California.  She is a booking agent for a talk show, and he's going through life in high school.  They're on their way home when they almost hit an animal in the road, and that causes them to run into another car, which is knocked off the road and falls down into a wooded area.  The sister tries to render aid to the car crash vicitims, when they are attacked by a bear.  Or a mountain lion.  Because there hasn't been a wolf sighting in Southern California for 70 years, according to the ambulance guy (who looks suspiciously familiar...  didn't he sit by a fire drinking whiskey for about an hour last christmas?  I think so).  It's not long before the brother and sister start to exhibit odd wolf-like symptoms, like growing hair in unsuual places, and staying out after dark...  almost like they were...  TEENAGERS!  :-o  OH GOD!   NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I like Cursed for several reasons, not least of which is Christina Ricci, who plays the female lead (the sister).  Christina isn't a traditional beauty, but just like her character in this movie, she's got a little something extra going on.  Yeah, I know she's married now and all, but give a geek a break.  I can still dream!  Jesse Eisenberg plays the male lead, the brother.  Joshua Jackson plays Christina's romantic interest (hey, a guy's playing eye candy for a woman for a change!), a local club owner who's opening a new horror-themed club.  There's some other supporting cast, including Nick Offerman playing the ambulance guy!  Yes, I knew he looked familiar.  Special effects are good, done by Rick Baker, the famous special effects guy, and the whole thing is directed by Wes Craven (at least, that's what it said at the beginning of the movie).  Everyone does a bang-up job, and the movie flows along really well.  All in all, a pretty decent werewolf movie, though the story mostly follows the brother and sister as they go about their mostly messed-up lives.  I've seen it several times now, so it certainly passes the rewatchability test.  I caught Cursed on Othermax (one of the Cinemax channels), if you want to check it out.

I don't have any more series to review tonight (more show up later this week), so let me go over a few tips for watching a horror movie.  First, you need to set aside a good time to watch the movie.  I like afternoons, or late at night, mostly because I'm a little sleepy then and my mind gets more into the movie.  Second, go to the bathroom beforehand, and have snacks and drinks handy.  Usually I like watching a movie with dinner, so I can kill two birds with one stone, as they say.  Last and most important, is suspension of disbelief.  Yeah, you pretty much have to really get into these movies, and remember, they're just movies!  They're made for your enjoyment, not to trick you (for the most part), so just relax and enjoy the show!

That's all I got for tonight.  I've probably reviewed Cursed before, but I checked back through last October, and I didn't see any reviews of it from me back then.  Some reviews are longer than others, and this one's a little short, but that doesn't mean I don't heartily recommend watching Cursed if you get the chance.  Catch you guys tomorrow night with another review!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...