Sunday, October 12, 2014

Horrorthon Review #12 - The Gift (2000)

Okay, well, I tried to watch 12/12/12, but it was just awful.  Then I tried watching 13/13/13 hoping the series that started with 11/11/11 would redeem itself, but no.  No.  So I dug through my Netflix queue hoping I'd find something decent, and...  I didn't.  So basically, I picked this one based off of Netflix reviewers saying Katie Holmes is topless in it.  I know.  I'm a perv.  But she is.  It's near the end if you want to fast forward.

The Gift (2000) stars Cate Blanchett as a psychic (the one with 'the gift') and Giovanni Ribisi, Keanu Reeves, Hilary Swank, and of course, Katie Holmes.  In fact, I think every single person in this movie is famous.  The extra sitting outside the gas station in the third scene who was on screen for about 1.3 seconds is actually the President of New Zealand, but not many people know that.  Seriously, a lot of accomplished actors in this.  So anyway, Cate's a psychic, you know, one of those turn-a-card, tell-you-your-future kind of fortune tellers, and she's doing her usual thing, telling abused women (Hilary Swank) to leave their abusive husbands (Keanu Reeves) and trying to help out her friends (Giovanni Ribisi) when she can.  And then, she starts having visions about a missing girl (Katie Holmes) and her grandmother (Grandmother) tells her that a storm (storm) is coming (coming).

Yea, I know, it's like talking over a loudspeaker at a baseball stadium, isn't it?

This wasn't a bad film, really.  I'm psychic enough to have seen the ending coming a mile and a half away.  Shit, I could have told you who did it at the beginning of the movie, before I even watched it, but like River says at the end of Serenity, "I know what you're going to say, but I still like to hear you say it."  Damn right.  Sometimes, knowing the future just isn't enough.  You want to feel it!

Okay, so I'm not psychic (you knew that, didn't you? maybe you're psychic!), but this one was easy to figure out miles in advance.  Aside from its predictability, this was a film with a lot of star power, and not really any horror.  More of a murder mystery with the addition of a psychic, this movie has nudity, one body, lots of spooky visions, and Katie Holmes freaked me the fuck out a couple times.  I guess it's because she was a Scientologist.  That's enough to freak anyone out.

I'd say give this one a watch, just once, if you haven't already seen it.  The movie's like 14 years old.  I mean it is fairly predictable, and the stars don't exactly act the shit out of it, but I think it's a pretty understated spooky flick.  Or, you know, just fast-forward to Katie Holmes' boobs and you pretty much get the whole story in about 2 minutes.  And a look at Katie Holmes' boobs.  So, it's a win-win.

I'm going to put in an extra little mini-review for the movie, Fallen (1998).  If you had come up to me back in the early 90's and said "There's going to be a horror film with Denzel Washington, Donald Sutherland, John Goodman, and James Gandolfini, and they're ALL going to end up being the bad guy." I'd have punched your lights out.  Probably because I was an angry angry little man back in the early 90's, and me punching your lights out wouldn't have had a thing to do with those four actors being in a horror movie together, but the point is, I wouldn't have believed you.  It's hard to believe it now, honestly.  Denzel Washington in a horror movie?  John Goodman?  I mean, Donald Sutherland, I can see, he was in Invasion of the Body Snatchers back in the 80's, and The Puppet Masters back in the 90's, so he's pretty much well-known to me (since, you know, I generally only watch horror flicks), and then you toss James Gandolfini into the blender with them?  AND they're ALL the bad guy?  WTF!  How is that even possible?

Well, it's playing on HBO this month, or one of HBO's sub-channels. if you want to watch it and find out.  Truly an excellent horror flick, and quite possibly the only one Denzel Washington will ever do, and I think, the only one James Gandolfini did.  Unless you count that movie he did with Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and I only count that as a horror movie because Julia Louis-Dreyfus is in it.  Oh, and I totally forgot Virtuosity, with Russell Crowe, that Denzel Washington did in the 90's, too.  Yea, most of you guys forgot it too, even if it was a decent enough horror/sci-fi flick.

Totally gave up on watching Madame Secretary with Tea Leoni on Sunday nights.  She went like 2 episodes without selling out her morals for politics and then she went and whored not only her own morals out, but her husband's, as well, and that just seemed totally out of character to me.  They didn't even give an explanation for it, either, it's like one minute, she's trying to come up with a plan to save a CIA spy and they cut to commercial and they come back and her plan is to whore herself out.  And that's it, then they just go with that whole story line, and for her characters it's like "I just fucked a man for money for the first time in my life, which I said I would never do, and I not only don't care, I'm not even thinking about it."  It just didn't make any sense.

Well, that's all for this evening.  Catch you guys tomorrow night.  Maybe I can find something actually fun to watch by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...