Friday, October 29, 2010

October 29 - Re-Animator

I've mentioned H. P. Lovecraft in several other reviews so far. I'm not sure when he wrote this little gem, but it turned out to be a pretty damn good movie. I first saw this one in my late teens, and though it probably didn't jumpstart my lust for monster movies, it certainly did wonders for my interest in oral necrophilia! Erm. Ahem. Well, on to the review.

Herbert West is a new student at Miskatonic University. He has some odd ideas about the reanimation of dead tissue, not unlike our dear and frequent friend to the horror movie blog, Baron Frankenstein. We first find Herbert reanimating a deceased cat, a favored pet of his new roommate, Dan. Dan is dating the dean's daughter, Megan. Megan is being stalked by Dr. Hill, an eminent neurosurgeon, who is close friends with the dean. And thus we have our love quadrangle. Because what is love, really, but a four sided two-dimensional representation of our true feelings for one another? But enough about interdimensional quantum lovemaking.

Megan takes an instant dislike to West, whom she finds rather creepy (as i am sure she finds the much older Dr. Hill), but West strikes me as more of a dedicated and friendly individual. Much like our eminent Dr. Frankenstein, West is always on the lookout for someone to assist him in the laboratory, and in this case, he finds that person in Dan. After demonstrating the effect of his purely chemical reanimating agent on Dan's beloved but dead cat, Dan agrees to work with West. Of course, he first attempts to go to the dean about West's work, and is simultaneously disbelieved, belittled, and evicted from medical school. After such rough treatment by the dean, it's no wonder Dan agrees to work with West on reanimating dead things.

After a little accident in the morgue during a reanimation experiment, and a subsequent fracas involving Dr. Hill, well, let's just say there's a bunch of extraordinarily violent and unusually coordinated (as a group, not individually) bunch of zombies running about, and it's up to West and Dan to rescue Megan from the evil clutches of the maniacally obsessed and smelly Dr. Hill! :-o

I love watching this movie. The performances put in by Jeffrey Combs and the other actors are pretty first rate if a bit over the top, and there's nothing like a good nude scene involving a reanimated severed head and a naked co-ed. Oh yea yea, I know, if you've seen one, you've seen them all, but this, the one in this movie, is the first! I think. Well, i've never seen it in another movie, so I can't say for sure, but it may be the only one I've ever seen.

I haven't seen this movie in years, but it certainly stands up to the rewatchability test. I had purchased a DVD of this movie some time ago, but alas, the movie is so damn good, someone actually made off with my copy. Yes, that's how good this movie is, people will steal it from you just to watch it. Or maybe they made slow sweet DVD love to it using the interdimensional quadrangle position. Either way, they had more fun with it than I did. Come to think of it, I don't know if I even unwrapped it from the plastic. Well, at least it's protected from interdimensional VD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...